Kitchen worktop routing jig.

APE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I am in the middle of fitting my new kitchen and so far, so good.

I am ready to fit my worktops. When i fit the kitchen in my other house I used corner fillets and thought they looked crap, so this time I have decided they are getting done properly.I was originally going to get a joiner/kitchen fitter to come and do them but have decided to have a go myself. I have sourced all the gear, router, jig etc... And have done plenty of reading on how to do it. I'm no muppet and can do/have done most DIY jobs, but I've never done worktop joints. I know the basic theory of what to do, but i am looking for any hints or tips people can give me.

All hints, tips, tricks or warnings welcome please. :D

Thanks in advance ;)

Andy

Sponsored Links
Buy the most expensive router bit you can afford. This will give you a much cleaner cut.

Just started doing this myself - having been let down continually by various local chippies.

Bought a decent router and the template etc and started last night.

My advice: Take your time and don't rush it. Check all measurements - double or treble if necessary and make sure there are no obstructions.

Other than that I didn't find that it was half as bad as I thought it would be ... but then, that's often the case.

Preparation time, as my old man used to say, is always key to doing a good job.

Joe

Hi, Major tips here:-

1) Make sure that you set the jig on the right side of the worktop (either to the top face or the bottom face) so that when you make a cut with the router, the cutter cuts into the front face of the worktop when the worktop is on the left hand side of the cutter. If you have the worktop to the right hand side of the cutter, you will break out the front edge of the laminate.

2) Cut your face mitre first, then you can lay each of the worktop going around a particular corner one on top of the other, then mark where the cut should be set for its mate. This will allow you to set the mitre jig at a cant if you walls are running out of square (either more or less than 90 degrees).

3) Don't forget to add to your marked out length, the distance of the cutters edge to the edge of the mitre guide fitted to the router. It is usually 8mm, but this will depend on the cutter diameter and the router guide.

Al

Sponsored Links
See if you can get hold of some damaged worktops or offcuts from a local supplier and have a few practices first ;)

1. If you have a length of worktop that is a fair bit longer than you need, make one or two (or three) test cuts first until you feel confident. Disadvantage: Doing this will wear out a cheaper router bit.

2. You need to make several passes to cut right through the worktop. The first 2 or 3 should be done with the router guide putting pressure against the side of the cutting channel in the jig away from the finished edge (usually towards you) and the final pass should be done with the router guide putting pressure against the side of the cutting channel in the jig that will be the finished edge (usually away from you). The channel in the jig is usually a snug fit for the router guide, but there has to be a little bit of play or you wouldn't be able to run the guide along the channel. Making the passes with the pressure on different sides ensures that on the final pass when you finally cut through the worktop, you also slightly trim the other passes that you made so all the cuts are flush and you have a perfect 90 degree edge.

3. Dont rock the router backwards or forwards while it's in the jig and wait for it to stop spinning before you try to remove it - been there, done that!

Advice -

1 : Definitely try the cut on an offcut first. Several times on different pices if possible until you are satisfied with having that join on YOUR WORKTOPS.

2 : Buy a NEW and good quality (Preferably TCT) Router Cutter.

3 : Make sure that the Router is at least 1900W.

4 : Make sure that the jig is securely clamped to the worktop.

5 : Take it steady - Don't be tempted to rush and when finished don't put your spinning router onto the worktop!

Hope this helps,

--

http://www.chippyshop.co.uk Worktop Jig
The UK's BEST Worktop Jig Supplier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back