Kitchen Worktop taken a hammering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have moved to a new house and the beech kitchen worktop looks like it has taken a bit of a hammering over the years. I think it needs some TLC so want to sand & oil. Was going to do the following:

* Sand down with 120 grit sand paper
* Wipe off dust
* Rub in Polyx Hard Wax Oil with a soft cloth.
* Leave to dry overnight
* Repeat

Is this all OK? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

++++++++++++++++++++++

I have started on a part of the worktop that is by itself - to one side of the cooker - as means of a test.

Some of the worktop had lost its colour (i.e. gone from a rich, warm beech to a whiter colour). Some has also "greyed".

Is this normal? Will the above sanding/oiling resolve?

Thks,
Rich

Sponsored Links
Rich, one of the guys a bit more up on the use of beech can advise you more regarding the correct product and application method. But speaking as a chippy, I would use a slightly courser grade of sandpaper intially, taking the wood back to it's more natural colour. Then go back over it with a finer paper, 160/180 approx. After that, yes go over it with white spirit, to degrease it and remove those fine specks.

Woody

wood agree with woody but would suggest Junkers Rustic oil as a finish rub on a coat leave overnight, denib with the finest wet and dry, tack off and repeat 2 or 3 coats should do it will give a semi gloss finish, and very hardwearing maybe give it a quick rub back and a new coat every year.

Tung or raw linseed oil will give waterproofing and a dead easy maintenance surface.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice guys.

However, I started before I read them. The worktop has come up better - but is not as new. I will probably wait a few months and then start again.

Only problem is I didn't understand some of the above advice. What is:
Denib ?
Tack off ?

Thanks,
Rich

Wood in a kitchen can get knocks and stains, if it looks reasonable, don't loose sleep trying to make it look new. Character looks fine as long as it isn't tatty.

i think u might have missed summit...

use the rough grade paper to sand out knocks scratches etc...u then have to go to a mid grade (180?) paper and finilly give it some with some 320 ?

if u dont ur not getting the wood nice and smooth as ababies bottom and consequently u apply a finish and it looks crap as all the sanding marks show instead of the grain.

u have to have the beech looking and feeling very smooth (u should be able to see any sanding marks...normally tiny circles)

the finish will then sail on nice and smooth and show off the grain !

Denib is to very lightly sand off after a coat of say varnish/oil has dried. when you apply the oil it slightly swells and raises some of the fibres in the wood and when it dries some of these fibres will dry stuck up, a light sanding with very fine paper will take these out, subsequent coats wont soak in so much and will then give you a smoother finish.
Tack off means to basically dust off after sanding using a cloth very lightly dampened with white spirit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back