Kitchen worktop too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't sure whether to put this in here or the DIY disaster forum! :LOL:

Anyway, first time fitting a kitchen worktop and I measured the width of one of the worktops and assumed all of the others would be the same! They weren't.

The sink worktop was a larger width and had a service gap for the piping at the back. So when I came to fit this one, it's not long enough. All the others are fine.

This is an ikea worktop and only comes as 620mm.

Now I have a 50mm gap at the back of this piece of worktop. Any ideas of how to fill the gap? I was thinking abit of 50mm PVC trim but any better ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sorry do you mean too short at the back (depth) or the sides (width) ?

Either way 50mm is a big gap to fill or cover without looking naff. I once used some triangular section plastic worktop edging/upstand that would probably have been wide enough to cover a 50mm gap but it was for a property I was selling on to someone who wanted to rent it out so neither of us were too bothered how it looked.

I bought it from B&Qs several years ago, no idea if they still sell the stuff.

Too short in depth at the back.

I'll probably replace the worktop completely in a year or so for something better anyway (when funds permit). These laminates are only £35 each.

Thanks

Had the same problem, customer bought standard wortop but extra wide section across sink used. Ideally you move the cupboard back to the wall which is what I did and everthing fitted.Just means more work.Also as it was a tiny kitchen the extra room was welcome.
In another I could not move back units so made splashback up with worktop to gain extra depth, ok if the worktop is cheap.If you do this, secure with silicon as any water from the sink will ruin it if it gets under the top.

Sponsored Links
Or if you are tiling a splash back across it use a row of cut tiles laid horizontally to cover the gap.

or get a decent off cut from somewhere cut it in for size,biscuit joint it together with color fil,or that new cloured silicone.job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back