kitchens - doors/carcasses compatability

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello folks,

I'm trying to put together a new kitchen on a bit of a budget and was wondering if there was a compatability issue with doors and carcasses from different companies. Are the postions of hinges matching?

Here's the situation:

A friend had bought a job lot of doors for his new kitchen a year ago and has quite a few left over. There would be enough for around half of a new kitchen. They turn out to be the same as the kind currently being sold in b&q, so I can buy any remianing ones I needed and then have the full set. Now, regarding carcasses, I have seen quite a few listed on ebay recently - people have either changed their minds about designs for their new kitchens or have been sent additional bits by mistake and want rid of them.(incidently, it seems quite normal for kitchen suppliers to send extra bits by mistake and then not ask for anything back - surely someone is accountable for these losses, even if they are small in comparison to a whole new kitchen.)
Anyway, back to my original point - can i fit one kind of door (b&q) to a different carcass (say mfi, wickes, magnet etc)? Do the carcasses have a number of holes to attach the door hinge to, or do I need to drill new holes?

Otherwise, I'll have to buy the carcasses from b&q to match up. I suppose that way i could also get some of those soft close hinges, as everything will be compatable. Which gets me thinking, are all those pull out wire contraptions for storage compatable with any make of carcass, or specific to a certain brand?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
I revamped a kitchen with B&Q doors onto an unknown brand of carcases.

I measured all door and drawer fronts and made sure that I was getting exactly like for like. I had to resite the hinge fixings inside the carcases which wasn't a real big deal and a lot easier than resiting the ones on the doors.

What would the price difference be on carcases from B&Q and ebay ?

What would the price difference be on carcases from B&Q and ebay ?[

not sure about the actual b&q price, becuase I heard mention that they are now half the pre-christmas price. It's just that there's a chap not far from me who has listed a load of carcasses that are only 6 months old. I think they are starting off at £20 for the lot.

How did you attach the doors? Is it just a case of 2 small holes for each hinge on the actual carcass?[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back