Knackered Thermo. Rad. Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[i
36a7_2.jpg
mg]

Apolgies - my 2nd queston today. Under pressure from 'Er Indoors to fix the heating for Xmas!
One of the radiators was cold, so I took the head off the TRV. This valve is an old Myson one, with grooves at the bottom and a metal ring that hold the plastic head onto the valve body.
When I put the pliers onto the pin to free it, it almost came right out. The rad is still cold. My three questons are;

1) As the pin came out by about an inch, is the valve knackered?

2) The valve is the angled type. If I fit a new TRV, are inlets and outlets to TRVs to the same dimensions (ie. will a new TRV of a different make bolt straight on), or will I need to alter the pipe to the valve?

3) If I buy another Myson TRV, is there more chance that it will bolt straight on wthout any alterations?

Merry Xmas to You All[/img]

Sponsored Links
You may be able to push pin back in and it wont leak, then try tapping pin with a hammer.

Most trvs can be replaced without any alteration to pipework, some however do need about 3 or 4mm trimmed off the copper pipe.

You will probably need to change the tail in the rad as well, but not always.

Thanks gas4you.

I managed to push the pin back in without any problem, but rad still not heating up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back