Noisy TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The rad in our 4yr old's bedroom makes loud clicking noises as it heats up in the morning, which is waking her up (she never had a problem last winter - presumably a phase she is going through!).
We are currently switching off the rad at night, but it gets very cold in there (north facing room with a large window and two external walls)!

As far I can tell it's the TRV making the noise (Myson TRV 2 way, approx 9 years old). Is it likely to stop if I remove the TRV head or will the noise be coming from the valve underneath? Are there any risks in leaving the head off with the pin showing?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Sponsored Links
you might consider using the valve at the other end to regulate the heat output. It is called a lockshield valve as you are supposed to set and forget it, but you could if you want open the TRV fully, and the manual valve just a quarter of a turn or so (keep feeling the pipes) so it allows a trickle of heat through to prevent the room getting too cold.

Feel the pipes at each end of the rad. The Flow pipe will be too hot to hold, but you want the Return pipe to be quite a bit cooler. the lockshield valve will be fully open after only about one turn, so you only need to open it a fraction for a restricted flow.

Identify which is the Flow (hotter) pipe, you will need to know that next. Look at the body of the TRV and see if it has an arrow on it, and if it is double-headed or which way it points.

Tell us the make and model of the valve if you can see it, or post a photo, it may be possible to turn it round. Otherwise you may end up replacing it with another, or putting it on the other end of the rad, to be quieter.

Do you have a Combi boiler, or a cylinder? Can you see the CH circulating pump? It will probably have a speed adjustment control marked 1-2-3- or I-II-III. Depending on boiler type you may be able to turn it down (you are not supposed to change pump sped on a Combi, but I am not familiar with Combis

I am a householder not a pro.

p.s. the clicking might be the radiator expanding as it gets hot, and rubbing along the metal brackets that hold it to the wall. This is usually a series of clicks as it first gets hot. If it is the TRV it will stop when your turn the head up or down from the setting where it is making a noise.

Sponsored Links
give the valve a gentle tap or two on the pin to free it up and spray a bit of WD40 or a smidge of oil on the pin.
if you swop a head from another room does the problem remain or go to the other room? if it does then its the head. replace it
if problem remains then its the valve body (drain system or suspend it and replace valve)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back