TRV Problems please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
for some time now i have had a problem with a trv in a bedroom i have established that the trv in not on the flow pipe but the trv is bi directional and this is the case in another bedroom where there is no problem at all fitted with exactly the same trv

after a period of time when heating is on the trv makes a very noisy humming noise i have turned the other valve down to 1/4 turn to reduce the flow but it still make no difference the noise is still there.

when the trv is making the noise if you slightly turn the trv it stops then it can re-occur later on

also when you take the head of the trv and press down on the pin it makes a clicking noise as it shuts do you know what this maybe?

does anybody have any ideas what can be wrong??

thanks in advance

brett

Sponsored Links
I have Danfoss TRVs in my house and they are very noisy. Had to fit them because the valve body is internal to my radiators.

I don't suppose yours are the same?

hi no these are just normal trv's they are made by OPTIMA all the others in the house work fine just dont understand what is wrong with this one

brett

Turn it round so the valve is on the flow or turn it on the same side of the rad so that it is flowing the opposite way.

Even though many valves are so called Bi directional they still chatter when on the wrong way!

Stan

Sponsored Links
hi i have just fitted three optima valves in my extension, had no noise from them mind you i made sure they are fitted on the flow side even though they are bi directional. had that problem before on other valves usually because they are not fully shutting off

Its fairly common. When the TRV is on the point of closing the valve flutters on its seating and you get a water hammer type effect. You either replace it or turn it round to send the flow the other way through the valve.

Closing down the lockshield sometimes works, but not always. I have one rad in my house that does it, even though they are bi directional. To be honest I can't be bothered to faff arond with it so I turn it up or down and the sound goes away. If it were a customer things would be different i assure you!!!!

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back