Noisy trv's

Im not sure where the pump would be and how to check it all the lock valves were set to full on and i have 5 rads the installer said i closed the rad without the trv on and the water has nowhere to go and that i must have damaged the valves and they wont replace them cheers for advice
Jeysus guppin christ the industry is a disgrace.

Try to find the pump and take a photo of it.

Sponsored Links
Absolute rubbish, tell them to get back and get it sorted, how did you pay ?
Hi it was on a scheme for 1st time central heating a kind of grant for people that is on disability and have no central heating ive never had cental heating before so this is my 1st time and im struggling with it thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi it was on a scheme for 1st time central heating a kind of grant for people that is on disability and have no central heating ive never had cental heating before so this is my 1st time and im struggling with it thanks
Then get on to the scheme admistrators, they will soon force them to come back

It makes no difference at all - tell them to fix it properly, or raise your concerns with who ever runs the scheme, if they are unwilling to rectify the faults.

Have you carried out the little test I suggested earlier, to confirm which is the flow and return at each radiator? It might be worth your while to mark up the flow at each radiator with a F, just to ensure there are no other TRV's on the wrong ends of the rads, so they can all be corrected at the same time. TRV's fitted to the wrong pipe, don;t always show up the problem immediately - so better to get them all sorted in one visit.

The boiler will most likely be a combi, with the pump inside the boiler which cannot be opened up by the OP to investigate it. There are several models of TRV designed to work on either flow or return, but we don't know what model of TRV the OP has fitted, all we know is that his TRV's are noisy, suggesting they are likely designed to be installed on the flow pipe. An issue which needs to be corrected. Likely the OP has just become properly aware of the issue, now we are well into the heating season.

I'm still convinced the pump has needlessly (or mindlessly) set on max hence the rapid flow causing valve noise.
It is a brand new system, the pump will be ERP variable, it will modulate itself as required

It is a brand new system, the pump will be ERP variable, it will modulate itself as required
Only if set to DP or CP mode no? And they have 3 bands themselves.

I've something similar. Modern pumps are much stronger than before.

It makes no difference at all - tell them to fix it properly, or raise your concerns with who ever runs the scheme, if they are unwilling to rectify the faults.

Have you carried out the little test I suggested earlier, to confirm which is the flow and return at each radiator? It might be worth your while to mark up the flow at each radiator with a F, just to ensure there are no other TRV's on the wrong ends of the rads, so they can all be corrected at the same time. TRV's fitted to the wrong pipe, don;t always show up the problem immediately - so better to get them all sorted in one visit.
I will give it another go tomorrow thanks ill let you know how it goes 'edit' they wont come back out without charging me even though they are supposed to be under guarantee so if i have to pay i may as well get the trvs that has been suggested thanks

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back