Knocking down a supporting wall g/f freehold flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of buying my first home! (yay!) Its a ground floor 2 bedroom flat. Its a converted house, where each both levels have there own access. The flat is lease hold with 10% free hold to the property.

In the second bedroom i'am looking to knocking through a wall that is a supporting wall- this will create a double bedroom rather than a small bedroom and two storage cupboards.

Three questions... Do I need to get planning permission for this wall to be taken out?

Does anyone have a rough idea how much this project would cost?

Lastly is there any legal implications because of the lease?

Advice is very much welcome. Thanks Sian

Sponsored Links
No expert on this, but I'm pretty certain you won't need planning permission. If it's leasehold with a share of the freehold, you'll need to discuss your plans with the other freeholders firstly, and hopefully you'll get their agreement to make alterations to the structure of the building.
I would think the advice of an architect or structural engineer might help to get them onside.

No idea how much it'd cost sorry...depends on a lot of things such as size, difficulty and finishes...

Probably haven't helped much...I'm sure there's someone else here who can give some better info...

You will need to get a party wall agreement in place or things could get real expensive..

Permission from the freeholder is something else.. but im certain you will need permission from them before you alter the structure..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back