Knocking down Firebreast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just moved into a new house and the firebreast from the upstairs bedroom has been removed and the chimney breast in the loft supported with concrete lintels.

The surveyor said I can just knock down the remaining firebreast downstairs so here I go.

Now it's probably a stupid question but I'm guessing I should start at the top by the ceiling, drill the heck out of one brick and smash it up so I can then get easier access to knock the surrounding bricks out.

Should I remove all of the front bricks leaving the two sides to remove last and work down or just removed everything from the top and work my way down?

I'm assuming that where the breast joins the wall the bricks will be bedded into the wall as opposed to just sitting flush with the wall. If this is the case do I need to try to remove the bedded bricks (if so how?) or should i just try to chop off the extruding piece of brick?

cheers

K

Sponsored Links
OK

So I've knocked down all the stack except a few bricks which are under the joists and the concrete which made up the hearth upstairs.

Should I knock out the hearth completely?

I kind of don't want to because the floor above is nicely screeded and carpet laid etc.

Will I be able just to put a 4x2 wooden beam from joist to joist to support the weight of the hearth?

Can you post a pic taken from the underside, showing the hearth concrete and timbers?

Whats holding up that concrete block, above your head (oh just a few bricks).
I think you need to not be walking about on it, when in the bedroom.

Sponsored Links
the concrete that makes up the hearth seems to disappear under the floor boards and I guess goes in to the wall.

And YES I have been working underneath it all day, knocking down the rest of the stack!!! :evil:

surely that lump of concrete used to be supported by the chimneybreast below

which you've now knocked down :eek:

Partly, but it's also supported by the trimming/er joists around the hearth. If the concrete does not sit over those joists, then support the edges of the hearth by putting a 4"x2" timber noggin underneath them, so as to form a U-shape on plan, build the two top ends of the U into the wall by 75mm or so, nail the bottom of the U and the two legs to the joist that it butts up to (looks from the first pic that there might be one actually there anyhow) and Robert's your father's brother: sorted.

Alternatively, do nothing and rely on whatever the current arrangement is to continue to work. Tracc'er Boi aka Fastneattrowel would probably advocate that approach :):)

Partly, but it's also supported by the trimming/er joists around the hearth. If the concrete does not sit over those joists, then support the edges of the hearth by putting a 4"x2" timber noggin underneath them, so as to form a U-shape on plan, build the two top ends of the U into the wall by 75mm or so, nail the bottom of the U and the two legs to the joist that it butts up to (looks from the first pic that there might be one actually there anyhow) and Robert's your father's brother: sorted.

Alternatively, do nothing and rely on whatever the current arrangement is to continue to work. Tracc'er Boi aka Fastneattrowel would probably advocate that approach :):)
yes i would,il screed over the hearth flush with the floor boards :LOL:

you mean the joists that used to be supported by the now-removed chimneybreasts? :eek: :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back