Knocking down Firebreast

Status
Not open for further replies.
FNT - what, though, if the hearth was raised above the floor board level? Would you screed over the entire timber floor, to bring that up to the same level?!

Sponsored Links
FNT - what, though, if the hearth was raised above the floor board level? Would you screed over the entire timber floor, to bring that up to the same level?!
lol now i know you are not the full shilling , hey ever heard of a kango? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Tis often the problem with genius, it can often spill over into madness, it's all that studying we have to do to become SEs muhahahaahaaaa :LOL:

Btw, I hear that officially Ispwich Town FC is the most family-friendly club in the country. DNA testing has revealed that 99% of the fans are related.

you mean the joists that used to be supported by the now-removed chimneybreasts? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nope, they trim around the breast, are/were not built into it.

The joists were contained within the structure of the breast, however they go into the wall, I'm sure just as much as all the other joists go into the wall.

Noggin? on plan? Errr not quite sure what you mean there, can't quite visualize your reccomendation, any chance of laymans terms... :confused:

Hi

Just moved into a new house and the firebreast from the upstairs bedroom has been removed and the chimney breast in the loft supported with concrete lintels.

The surveyor said I can just knock down the remaining firebreast downstairs so here I go.

Now it's probably a stupid question but I'm guessing I should start at the top by the ceiling, drill the heck out of one brick and smash it up so I can then get easier access to knock the surrounding bricks out.

Should I remove all of the front bricks leaving the two sides to remove last and work down or just removed everything from the top and work my way down?

I'm assuming that where the breast joins the wall the bricks will be bedded into the wall as opposed to just sitting flush with the wall. If this is the case do I need to try to remove the bedded bricks (if so how?) or should i just try to chop off the extruding piece of brick? if you do decide to screed over hearth after taking out a couple inches with a (kango) make sure you you dont sit on the floor in that space as building regulations and specs and stuff wouldnt want you to do that as it might be a cold spot :LOL:

cheers

K

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back