Knocking out brickwork for new window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I'm installing a new window in a back bedroom wall where there's no window at present, looking out into garden. There is already a window in the bedroom on the side of the house. I've got the upvc window made which is 110cm wide to match the other existing window. The other original windows meet externally to the barge boards with possibly one row of headers on top. (Looking at my neighbours house!)

My question is would I need a lintel for the internal course of brickwork? I'm guessing there's approx maybe 3 to 4 courses of brickwork internally I have not as yet started the paperwork removal internally.

Our property does not seem to have a cavity, as in the brickwork pattern has 5 rows of stretchers then a row of headers. Is this correct?

As ever, thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Cheers

Gary.

Sponsored Links
Wall in question where new window is to go.

Attachments

• IMAG1856.jpg
    IMAG1856.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 85
You will need a lintel for the inside, and one for the outside if you are going to match that other window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back