Knocking radiator - any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a rad that has suddenly started making a loud knocking noise when the heating comes on, usually last about 5mins. It's a relatively new rad, installed 4 years ago. I've tried adjusting the flow and return but this hasn't stopped the knocking.

Any idea what might be causing this and tips to sort it?

Sponsored Links
Does it have a TRV ? If so remove the actuator head and see if it makes a difference.

Does it have a TRV ? If so remove the actuator head and see if it makes a difference.
No it's a rad in a kitchen extension so no TRV, just flow and return so no temperature adjustment TRV head

Could the knocking sound be likened to a ticking sound ? That's usually associated with heat expansion, pipes rubbing against wood flooring etc ,or the radiator brackets are missing the small plastic inserts that prevent the metal rad rubbing on the metal brackets when it expands during heating.

Sponsored Links
Could the knocking sound be likened to a ticking sound ? That's usually associated with heat expansion, pipes rubbing against wood flooring etc ,or the radiator brackets are missing the small plastic inserts that prevent the metal rad rubbing on the metal brackets when it expands during heating.
No it literally sounds like someone is tapping the rad with a hammer about every 30secs, so it's not like the ticking on pipework (that I unfortunately have in one of our bedrooms but cannot access the pipes!)

Sounds to me like expansion of pipes and rad.
is that something that happens with age of the rad? Just wondering why it has only just started happening now after 4 years since being installed.

Something has changed,new flooring ,rad moved on its brackets( sideways) pushing pipes against flooring ,or wall if they come through the wall ?

Something has changed,new flooring ,rad moved on its brackets( sideways) pushing pipes against flooring ,or wall if they come through the wall ?
Nope literally nothing. Been in the same place untouched since being installed (apart from a bit of dusting!)

is that something that happens with age of the rad? Just wondering why it has only just started happening now after 4 years since being installed.
OK I clocked the relatively new but missed the 4 years! (which I'm not sure I'd call relatively new). No, I don't think the age of the rad would cause it, only some other change as terryplumb suggested.

Attachments

• rad  4.jpg
    rad 4.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 58
  • RAD 1.jpg
    RAD 1.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Rad 2.jpg
    Rad 2.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 52
  • rad 3.jpg
    rad 3.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 57
The right hand valve looks like a TRV ?
Close up pic in focus please.

The ridged collar ,on far right unscrews and the actuator head can be removed from the valve body. Show us a pic once removed of the body on the rad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back