Knocking through a chimney breast for range cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im wanting to knock through a chimney breast to make room for an 90cm range cooker, Would it be possible to easily knock this through on a victorian property? Im not sure how you would know the construction of the chimney without making an opening.

Would you please give me advice on how to start this project

thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
the chimney breast is likely to have some foundations for the side brickwork and none for the frontage, though it is likely that a hearth slab will be present.

the sides will be 9" masonry and it is likely there will be either a lintel or a curved iron and header brick support at about 3 or four feet up from the floor.

removal of the plaster work will reveal a lot. ;)

Thanks noseall

I was thinking that i would knock the plaster off and reveal what was behind it, would i need building regs to look at any enlargment of the hearth or would a competent builder be able to do it for me without worrying about building regs?

PS if it helps, there isnt a cellar under that particular chimney breast.

Sponsored Links
Thanks noseall

I was thinking that i would knock the plaster off and reveal what was behind it, would i need building regs to look at any enlargment of the hearth or would a competent builder be able to do it for me without worrying about building regs?

PS if it helps, there isnt a cellar under that particular chimney breast.

you will need lintel but the condition off the inside off the chimmney can also cause you probs expecially cooking food beneith it

Make sure you get the chimmney swept unless you like black globs of carbon all over your food when you boil anything.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back