Knotting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I re-plastered my house recently and thought i would change the skirtings at the same time.

Now NOT being a painter & decorator and my daughter suffering from asthma i thought i would use crown water based paints (both undercoat and topcoat)

Now after 6 months or so, you can see the knots bleeding through. My question is, Can i apply knotting over the paint or do i need to strip back first ?

Yes i know before some one says the old saying " closing the barn door after the horse has bolted"

Any ideas or tricks to cure this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

P.S.

Please remember this is a full 4 bedroomed house including all architraves that i now need to redo :cry:

Sponsored Links
You can use white stytic knotting..brown can be a pig to cover over

Ouch.............."diyisfree"

Be very carefull with Zinsser Products as they DO NOT do everything they claim it can do !

Sponsored Links
diyisfree said:
INow after 6 months or so, you can see the knots bleeding through. My question is, Can i apply knotting over the paint or do i need to strip back first ?

:

Knots will bleed through waterbased paints, thats why IMO to knot them first, then use an oilbase primer.

I have used Zinsser a few months ago, on a bodge job, (not mine) lol, where the previos painters hadnt sealed the knots, so I applied the Zinsser bin as have been told by loads of painters that is the stuff to use on already painted wood where the knots have come thru.

Cheers guy's

I will pop down to the local dulux trade centre and see if they do the zinnser or the white stytic knotting.

I previously have always used oil based paints but i used water based last time i decorated. It seems to stay whiter longer, or is it just me thinking it does :)

You will get loads of people telling you to use Znsser but the Products DO NOT always do what the Tin claims...............

Oil Based White's goes yellowish due to the Oil.

Water Based White's do not yellow like Oil Based BUT they do start to go ever sooooooo slighlty light greyish through time.

went to th elocal dulux centre yesterday, The lady showed me the zinsser gear but it says on the tin that it is only to be used with oil based paints NOT water.

The other stuff, (white stytic knotting) she said she had never heard of ? Is that just a posh name foe standard knotting?

Where can i get the white stytic knotting from? Anymore ideas anyone..

Thanks

Try Leyland or Johnstones..they do it

Or ask for white knotting.

diyisfree said:
went to th elocal dulux centre yesterday, The lady showed me the zinsser gear but it says on the tin that it is only to be used with oil based paints NOT water.

The other stuff, (white stytic knotting) she said she had never heard of ? Is that just a posh name foe standard knotting?

Where can i get the white stytic knotting from? Anymore ideas anyone..

Thanks

What type of Zinsser had "only to be used with oil based paints NOT water" written on there tin ?

Third,

The woman in the shop picked up the tin after i had explained what i had done. She looked at it and said "Oh you cant use it on water based paint only oil" I asked if she had anything else and left.

To be honest I personally never looked at the tin. i don't think she was that knowledgable.

Pmsl..............................

There is certain "special" water/acrylic based paints that can be applied over oil based paints.

What is very dodgy is applying emulsions over certain oil based paints. i.e. matt emulsion onto oil based gloss etc........

It is easy fixed "diyisfree"......

Dont use 'Zinsser 123' on Knots as it does not work.

White Knotting Shellac is only intended for new/bare wood, though i know of many Decorators who have used it on previously painted surfaces to good effect.

Dont touch up with 'Zinsser Products' also, as they have a tendancy to flash when overcoated.

You are prob best coating all the wood with 'Zinsser Bin'.

I agree with spice on this... as I done the same (touched over knots)on several houses with same problem as OP. last year and knots have'nt bled thro....erm yet ...lol..
You need meths to clean up/thin.
Bin will go on anything....(interior) have a peep at the fact sheet..
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10

Good luck..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back