Knotty Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We built a conservatory and rather than plain plasterboard inside we did it with wood cladding - looked great at first (almost white wood and a nice smell) - I varnished it with Ronseal waterbased varnish and after a few months the wood went a horrible yellow/orange tinge.

Q1 - Is there anyway of preventing this from happening

So wife complained (it was her who wanted wood in first place) and made me paint it - so rubbed down varnish - and applied satinwood with a small roller - again looked great - however after about 6 months all the knots have started to come through as black marks

Q2 -what can I apply to painted surface to stop this happening before redecorating - will i have to rub back to bare wood and apply knotting solution

Sponsored Links
yep use knotting compound
your pine will get progresivly darker with age you cant stop that
its like a sun tan the longer it goes on the deeper it gets

oil based varnish will cause a more yellow colour where as water based wont

Thanks - will I need to rub the paint right down to wood or is there somthing I can apply directly to the paint to stop stain?

2 choices here rub back all wood knot and paint end off problem

or rub back[well more scrape clean ;) ]the affected areas knot feather in and hope for the best ;)

Sponsored Links
Or you might re-clad(!)

maple is very white for indoor use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back