KTICHEN RING MAIN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: MY RING MAIN RUNS UNDER THE WORK TOPS ON THE WALL WITH NO CONDUIT. I BELIEVE THIS IS NOT SAFE & WHERE SHOULD IT RUN ? :confused:

please note forum rule 6a

Sponsored Links
From the incredibly breif description you have provided, it sounds alright to me.

Why do you think it is wrong?

Need more info.

Sorry for lack of detail (& shouting) I have 6 double sockets as an extension of an existing ring main. Both cables (2.5 twin & earth) is buried vetically in plaster to the first socket. It then travels under the work top 250 - 300 mm from socket horizontally on the surface of the wall to the subsequent sockets. Dishwasher & washing machine are plugged into sockets mounted inside the back of kithchen units 250mm from the ground, the cable at this point is not attatched to anything.

If I do need to replace the circuit should I run new ring in ceiling above mounted to the joists & drop down to each of my outlets

I assume that it is both cables that go round under the worktop or is there two cables to the first socket and then only one cable that loops round to the other sockets with no return?

Re the cable route itself, there's nothing wrong with the cables being under teh worktop and going vertically to the sockets. Its untidy but (assuming the cables are not buried) its not wrong. The cables must be clipped to the wall to give them support and protected from heat, damage or other external influences.

TTC

Sponsored Links
Thanx for advice I feel much more comfortable now. Re the cable the sockets are all connected corectlly as a ring main although the last socket has a spur to an adittional socket, the hob extracter (5amp) and the outside light which I do not no how to get around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back