L.E.D. Driver Failure ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently fitted 6 L.E.D. wedge lights under my kitchen cabinets , connected to the lighting circuit . Bought from B+Q . I have 4 fitted on one driver and 2 connected to another . This is the driver I have .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sensio-LE...ighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item2a12130fdc

Everything worked fine for a month or so , but now , the driver with the 4 lights has failed . I swapped everything round , and the lights are fine ,no loose connections within the circuit ect , so Ive isolated the fault to the driver . The lights are rated at 1.4W each , and the driver is 15W

Is there a reason why the driver would fail ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Something seems wrong 15W at 12 V when I went to school = 1.25 A not 6 A.

Theory as you rightly say means you should be able to run 5.6W total devices from a 15W supply but the picture is not good enough to read what it says.

Inverters use a mark / space relationship to get the correct voltage and often there is a minimum mark time. In layman's terms this means there is a minimum and well as maximum output. It states "long time open circuit protection" which makes me think there is a minimum value and I wonder if it has been under-loaded?

I would not think there is anything wrong with what you have done and likely it is just a case of the unit failing and needing replacement however since I can't read the details makes sense to ask the minimum ratting of the unit.

Thanks for that ! I`ll take the unit back to the shop , and see if they`ll replace it :)

Inverters use a mark / space relationship to get the correct voltage and often there is a minimum mark time. In layman's terms this means there is a minimum and well as maximum output. It states "long time open circuit protection" which makes me think there is a minimum value and I wonder if it has been under-loaded?

It shouldn't be a problem for step down switchers as they should be allowed to enter discontinuous conduction mode. The failure is more likely to be due to it being a cheap driver.
Inverters can be easily damaged by open circuit as you say since it is easy to destroy the output transistor(s) from the high voltages from the inductor if they have skimped on the design, but this isn't an inverter, so not a problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps !

Is there a way of guarding against it happening again ? Like I said earlier , I`ll try and get the shop to give me a replacement , but for future reference , is there a better quality driver you could reccommend ?
Also , would it help to split the four lights into two pairs , and add an extra driver ?

just an update on this thread .

I replaced the driver , and it failed again after a week . I`ve since replaced it again AND added a third to the circuit , so I now have 2 lights running off each driver .

Everything has now worked fine for the last 3 months , so I`m guessing 4 lights must have been too much ! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back