Labeling cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Apologies for putting up two posts within minutes of each other! As I mentioned in my other post, I'm just about to start some wiring work downstairs - removing some redundant old cable and adding some network cables, probably around 20 or 30 runs to various parts of downstairs.

Do any of you have any suggestions of good methods to label these cables? I'd really like to be able to just pick up a cable and have an idea what it is, at the moment it's getting a little complicated under there - I've got 6 mains cables running along one joist at the moment! (One for an upstairs shower, one for a boiler, two cables which are the ring main in the kitchen, and one that's part of the main downstairs ring)

Thanks all,

Russ :)

Sponsored Links
no offence, but do you think you have suitable knowledge and experience to be messing around with this sort of stuff.

Can you give a few more details about your intentions? There may be other things that you need to know, but that may depend on the work you do.

You have already said you have one of those screwdriver thingies and that not a good start! sorry

Do any of you have any suggestions of good methods to label these cables?

BlackSharpie.png

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The cheapest, easiest and quickest method is to use a fine tipped marker pen. There's not a lot of point in labelling the cables along the length of the run, as it'll be obvious what they do by tracing them back to the nearest accessory.

It is worth labelling cables wherever they terminate, especially when it comes to networking. If you want something a little more up-market than a marker, I believe that Brady make pads of self adhesive numbers that you can wrap round the wiring.

You can also buy a Dymo or similar product that will print onto heatshrink - I have one of these, but I rarely use it for that purpose, as you're talking around £15 for one and a half metres of tape which, frankly, is extortionate.

no offence, but do you think you have suitable knowledge and experience to be messing around with this sort of stuff.

Can you give a few more details about your intentions? There may be other things that you need to know, but that may depend on the work you do.

No offence taken, you've stated your concern with a lot more tact than I've sometimes seen on here! :LOL:

I've actually got three jobs to do that could be construed as risky:

1. Remove old black-rubber and fabric sheathed cables and associated metal trunking - these are definitely not connected to anything, I've traced all the ends and the wire's actually been cut into fairly short lengths of around 1 or 2m in most cases.

2. Remove wiring for a thermostat (still attached to the wall) that used to control a boiler that's since been removed. I suspect this wiring is live, I've traced it back to a junction box on the ring main, so I'll be disconnecting from here and working my way back to the thermostat.

3. Add some additional sockets to an existing ring main - I'll double check that all the wiring on the existing ring is 2.5m or better, I've got a big reel of 2.5m twin/earth ready, and all of this is in a crawlspace so luckily it's all nice and accessible. :)

Around this I've also got to fit the rest of the underfloor insulation, finish replacing the downstairs central heating and install the downstairs network cables, but one job at a time! :rolleyes:

Russ

Oh yes, on the labeling front, I've just got a Brother machine 30% off at Staples, which allegedly prints on labels that are heat, damp and chemical resistant, and it comes with 4m of tape, so fingers crossed this'll do the job.

Russ :)

Decide on a convention such as 'stripes'.

Then get red tape and mark plans as

Stripe x 1 bit of tape = ring grd floor gen
----"-- x 2 bits of tape = ring kitchen
----"-- x 3 bits of tape = lighting area X

Just make sure you wrap the tape round the end(s) a few times.

Cat 5 tends to be grey sheathed so stripes, or lettering A, B, C etc at both ends done with a marker as mentioned.

I like stripes because you can see them from any angle. Lettering tends to always be of the wrong side (the obscured area) of the cable.

On large jobs I use brady labels which have a area for writing on and then some clear tape. You write on the label, wrap it round the sheath and then the clear layers over it, to stop the writing being rubbed away. Big thing with network cable, is label the cable before you cut the end off the box :D

It's also prudent to provide a conduit drop between back box and sub floor void. If ever there's alterations you don't have the hassle of plaster bashing and damage to decor.

Please note safety concerns with power, and make sure you have some basic tests (such as a volt stick and cheap meter) equipment. If you isolate power at the fuse board make sure the kids / mrs doesn't decide to turn it back on (or send them out shopping) :eek:

Check to onsite wiki for regs, part p requirements and safe zones.

Dvd marker pens are good
Very fine tip, permanent and dries almost instantly.
4 colour set about £1.20 in Tesco

If you can't write on the cable, get some a piece of insulation tape and wrap it round the end of the cable so it looks like a 'flag'.

Write on the flag with a felt topped pen or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back