labour cost- house prices.

That would explain why the last 8 years have dragged :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back to the original point. I think sometimes people complain about how much home improvements/repairs/renewals costs because they have forgotten a home can actually cost money, like a car. Instead they want to see everything they spend reflected in an increased value of the property. We know that this is unrealistic but I guess it has been fed by the way house prices have leapt up in recent years without people having to do anything but be there.

There, that's my two pennyworth.

Oh, I would say you are right there.

Houses are great, but necessary house maintenance isn't necessarily fun, and it can cost a lot. DIY projects can be great, but who here would clap with joy whilst they unblock or renew their drains?

Holidays and home cinemas are great fun, so people would rather spend their money on those. Hell, wouldn't we all! :LOL:

AdamW said:
Oh, I would say you are right there.

Houses are great, but necessary house maintenance isn't necessarily fun, and it can cost a lot. DIY projects can be great, but who here would clap with joy whilst they unblock or renew their drains?

Holidays and home cinemas are great fun, so people would rather spend their money on those. Hell, wouldn't we all! :LOL:
Everyone knows of the joy and sense of wellbeing after unblocking your drain ;)

Sponsored Links
Its funny thing with drains, you think your unblocked it when a dribble of water runs out but na! and so keep trying and ah! abit more runs out but.........Na! and THEN when it really is unblocked what a gushing of fluid, crashing of waves, meeting of oceans in a torrent of uplifting torrential three dimensional what nots!.... how could I have thought it was cleared before.

We are currently having a lot of work done on our house; extension with kitchen/diner, bedroom and shower room, new boiler in the cellar, new toilet in existing house, block paving over old driveway and front garden (we have to provide off-road parking for 3 cars). Work in the back garden. Builders quotes for the extension varied by £20k.

We are now at the plastering stage.

By the time it is all finished in the summer it will have nearly cost what we paid for the house 10 years ago (£59k).

I was a bit surprised at the total cost, although I have not gone for cheap stuff or for the cheapest quotes.

We originally looked at moving house but could not find what we wanted for the price.

I have no idea what value it will add to the house, I will probably get it valued next year out of interest and if I have gained 80% of the cost I will be happy. If not, c'est la vie.

We have outgrown the house and the extension will hopefully add a lot to our quality of life for the next few years. Most importantly, it may get me out of diy for a couple of years!

Richardp said:
Its funny thing with drains, you think your unblocked it when a dribble of water runs out but na! and so keep trying and ah! abit more runs out but.........Na! and THEN when it really is unblocked what a gushing of fluid, crashing of waves, meeting of oceans in a torrent of uplifting torrential three dimensional what nots!.... how could I have thought it was cleared before.
You ought to be a scriptwriter what a description! i could visualise that with ease :LOL: ;)

Back