Lack of insulation on a brick course on cavity wall of Cold roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Sorry if this should be in walls, rather than roofing!

Last winter I had a massive condensation problem in the house, which we were sold was caused by the loft insulation touching the felt, and a lack of airflow problem in the roof, so we cleared the edges, and fitted tile vents.

However, following a mouse problem and using CCTV to find the location, we've realised that the inner leaf of the cavity wall has entire course of bricks that doesn't have any insulation on it, as per the attached picture.

Therefore, these bricks are actually very cold, so I want to insulate them, in the hope it will reduce problems.

What is the best way to do this, what is the most suitable material, and is it "diyable"?

I'm thinking it's probably it to lift the first 2/3 rows of tiles & felt, fit "standard" roofing insulation along the side and top of the exposed brick, possibly space blanketed stuff, then retrofit vent trays, and then fill in gaps between existing insulation and the new line with standard insulation again.

is there anything needed to fix/bound the insulation to the brickwork and stop it moving away from it, like glue, or build & fit an insulation baffle on top of the cavity insulation?

Cheers

Attachments

• Roofing.png
    Roofing.png
    364.1 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
google: pitched roof insulated eaves pics. These pics will show you a variety of ways for attempting to adequately insulate at the eaves.

Yes, run "joist" insulation over the cavity on to the outer skin but dont block ventilation from the eaves - tiying in from the roof insulation can be tricky.

Personally, i think that loft/roof insulation is often a matter of luck.
Good practice helps to avoid some pitfalls but there are too many unknowns and variables for a gold plated answer.

I'm sure that others think differently and i hope that they can help you further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back