Loft Insulation at eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a early 1970s bungalow, with typical low pitch roof. The tiles are interlocking concrete tile (look like Marley Wessex) and there is black "felt" underneath. The timber soffits and fascias do not have any visible vents. Under the last row of tiles there is some kind of plastic moulding that I suspect is a retro-fit. I didn't want to poke around too much because the tiles aren't in the best condition. Edge of the roof is finished with dry verge with traditional cemented tiles on the ridge. Wall cavities have been filled with blown-in fibreglass.

Above the ceilings there is the (original?) thin layer pink insulation, and this has subsequently been topped up by the previous owner.

Based on the construction of my roof, what should I do with the insulation, with respect to the eaves? I have pushed it into the eaves, leaving a gap of an inch or so between the top of the insulation and the underside of the felt. Obviously, due to the low pitch, this leaves quite a significant strip of uninsulated ceiling which is confirmed by IR thermometer readings.

Is there any harm in pushing insulation further into the eaves? At the moment I have no moisture problems in the attic.

Sponsored Links
I just re-read what I wrote, not clear. :oops:

It's not completely uninsulated; the original pink insulation runs right to the edges of the ceiling, up to the wall plates, but it's only about an inch thick. There isn't enough height to get the full depth of insulation into the gap between the ceiling and the underside of the felt (if allowing a gap), so all of the top-up insulation stops short.

As for the eaves ventilation, I'm not sure. I had a better look this week, and it appears that the plastic inserts are just eaves protectors. The roof space doesn't appear to have any moisture problems. I take it that the design of this roof is to not have air infiltration/cross-ventilation, but instead to allow some amount of moisture to permeate out through the felt?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back