Ladder Recommendations

Sorry Blup, your post seems to have vanished.
Still looking at one of those combi type ladders as it seems to tick all the boxes for a DIYer, plus only one ladder to store.

The gist of what I said was that the extension plus type ladder can be very unstable outside when you are perched at the top. I think it is more intended for inside say a warehouse, where the floor is flat and ground conditions are stable, with plenty of room all round, like changing overhead light fittings.. You would have difficulty getting in close to a high hedge using one. The henchman tripod ladder seems much more suitable.

Blup

Sponsored Links
The gist of what I said was that the extension plus type ladder can be very unstable outside when you are perched at the top. I think it is more intended for inside say a warehouse, where the floor is flat and ground conditions are stable, with plenty of room all round, like changing overhead light fittings.. You would have difficulty getting in close to a high hedge using one. The henchman tripod ladder seems much more suitable.

Blup
Thanks Blup. I'll have a look at that one. Appreciate you rewriting your reply.

Thanks for the advice. I have been thinking more about this and I have a couple of high-ish trees which will need pruning too. So now considering a combination ladder so that I only have one to store.
Anyone have any experience with these types, specifically the Werner Extension Plus ladders? https://www.wernerco.com/eu/combination-ladders/725Series/7253518

Many thanks

I used that particular ladder to paint my customer's two story coach house (it was his ladder). I only used it as an extension ladder though. He had removed the stabiliser bar at the bottom though. It was fine as an extension ladder but heavy. Unlike most triple ladders, you can't break it down into a double when you want something less tall but lighter.

Although more expensive, I would always recommend a triple ladder over a double. With a double you often have to climb up the ladder and bounce it off the brickwork as you try to extend it. With a triple you can often extend it whilst standing on the ground. Another advantage is that if you only need to use 2 sections you can use the 2 lower sections (which will be wider).

Last edited:
I used that particular ladder to paint my customer's two story coach house (it was his ladder). I only used it as an extension ladder though. He had removed the stabiliser bar at the bottom though. It was fine as an extension ladder but heavy. Unlike most triple ladders, you can't break it down into a double when you want something less tall but lighter.

Although more expensive, I would always recommend a triple ladder over a double. With a double you often have to climb up the ladder and bounce it off the brickwork as you try to extend it. With a triple you can often extend it whilst standing on the ground. Another advantage is that if you only need to use 2 sections you can use the 2 lower sections (which will be wider).

Thanks for your experience, good to know that it seemed ok. I have been reading a lot about ladders and it seems all of the new 3 section ladders cannot be taken apart now. Apparently it is to do with the new EN131 standard. I looked on the Lyte and TB davis websites and they don't some apart either.
I think I will go for the Werner Combi ladder as I need a tall step ladder too and see how I get on. Then I could get the tripod ladder for the pruning if required.

Anyone recommenend a standoff too or are they all the same?
Plus does anyone use anything to prevent slippage at the bottom like the ladder mats I have seen? Are they worth it?
Thanks again for everyones comments

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your experience, good to know that it seemed ok. I have been reading a lot about ladders and it seems all of the new 3 section ladders cannot be taken apart now. Apparently it is to do with the new EN131 standard. I looked on the Lyte and TB davis websites and they don't some apart either.
I think I will go for the Werner Combi ladder as I need a tall step ladder too and see how I get on. Then I could get the tripod ladder for the pruning if required.

Anyone recommenend a standoff too or are they all the same?
Plus does anyone use anything to prevent slippage at the bottom like the ladder mats I have seen? Are they worth it?
Thanks again for everyones comments

Thanks for the heads up about not being able to dismantle new ladders. Mine is pretty old (and v heavy).

My ladder standoff is rubbish. After you hook it on you have to tighten 4 wing nuts. I keep meaning to buy the ones that have a spring clamp,eg https://www.screwfix.com/p/ladder-stand-off/3571p

You can get standoffs which have a v profile in the middle for working on the corner of a building.

Stabalising ladders. I did purchase the Ankalad ladder stay.

https://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder-accessories/ankalad-ladder-stabiliser.html

It allows you to use a standard ladder like the Werner combi ladder. Look at the photos in my link. It works well but the telescopic legs cant be opened out properly if the ladder is used on a terraced house next to the neighbour's garden wall. When I first used it I found climbing up from the ground section to the second section slightly odd- when you start ascending the ground section there is absolutely no ladder flexing, when you get on to the second section you then notice the ladder flex (only because of the lack of flex in the lower section).

To fit it you need to drill 4 holes for the top and bottom bolts and IIRC two tiny holes for the straps used to secure it to the ladder when not in use. I additionally purchased the Ankalad adjustable feet which allowed either the left or right ladder feet to accommodate up to about 4 inches in differential heights for unlevel ground.

I haven't used any of the other anti-slip devices on the market, although I have used bags of sand to "foot" the ladder in the past...

I only ever used the Ankalad with my two stage ladder (which my brother borrowed and never returned when he moved to the middle of nowhere). I will buy another at some point but these days I normally work off scaffolding when painting exteriors (it is more cost effective, safer and more convenient).

Something else you may want to additionally consider is ladder mitts if you have painted rendered walls.

https://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder-accessories/ladder-pads.html

They slide over the top of the ladder and prevent the risk of leaving black marks.

I have one of the notch stays and its the most solid one I have owned and would recommend paying the extra if you are a regular ladder user. ( the one with the black rubber round the bars) BHDSTAY

Thanks for the heads up about not being able to dismantle new ladders. Mine is pretty old (and v heavy).

My ladder standoff is rubbish. After you hook it on you have to tighten 4 wing nuts. I keep meaning to buy the ones that have a spring clamp,eg https://www.screwfix.com/p/ladder-stand-off/3571p

You can get standoffs which have a v profile in the middle for working on the corner of a building.

Stabalising ladders. I did purchase the Ankalad ladder stay.

https://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder-accessories/ankalad-ladder-stabiliser.html

It allows you to use a standard ladder like the Werner combi ladder. Look at the photos in my link. It works well but the telescopic legs cant be opened out properly if the ladder is used on a terraced house next to the neighbour's garden wall. When I first used it I found climbing up from the ground section to the second section slightly odd- when you start ascending the ground section there is absolutely no ladder flexing, when you get on to the second section you then notice the ladder flex (only because of the lack of flex in the lower section).

To fit it you need to drill 4 holes for the top and bottom bolts and IIRC two tiny holes for the straps used to secure it to the ladder when not in use. I additionally purchased the Ankalad adjustable feet which allowed either the left or right ladder feet to accommodate up to about 4 inches in differential heights for unlevel ground.

I haven't used any of the other anti-slip devices on the market, although I have used bags of sand to "foot" the ladder in the past...

I only ever used the Ankalad with my two stage ladder (which my brother borrowed and never returned when he moved to the middle of nowhere). I will buy another at some point but these days I normally work off scaffolding when painting exteriors (it is more cost effective, safer and more convenient).

Something else you may want to additionally consider is ladder mitts if you have painted rendered walls.

https://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder-accessories/ladder-pads.html

They slide over the top of the ladder and prevent the risk of leaving black marks.

Many thanks for this info I have ordered the Werner 3.5m Combi ladder and the ladder pads from Midland Ladders. Really helpful and would recommend. Just waiting for delivery.
I'll have a look at the stand offs etc later.
Thanks scbk and Catlad I'll have a look at those too.

Thought I would update this thread as I had the ladders delivered yesterday. They feel really solid and although only used them to go up to window height so far seem perfect for the jobs I will need them for. Only thing I would say is I find the stabiliser bar gets in the way a bit when setting up. Never had a ladder with a stabiliser before so something to get used to as all new ladders come with them now.
If anyone is looking for a decent combi ladder that will do most jobs, especially as a DIYer then I would recommend this one. Also Midland ladders were great, very helpful so would recommend them too.

Thanks everyone for their help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back