Ladders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to buy an extension ladder to decorate the outside of my house. I have found two sites that seem to offer good but differing products.
Two questions I am hoping you can help me with.
Is a three stage ladder more difficult to handle than a two stage?
Is an extension bar across the bottom of the ladder extending the width safer than a rubber footing pad with a normal ladder?
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I always use a ladder footing pad similar to this.
61g02wYCBhL._AA160_.jpg

Plus tie off the base of the ladder where possible, dont over reach.
A stand off fitting at the top of the ladder makes life easier.

61g02wYCBhL._AA160_.jpg

Aha. That is the sort of pad I was thinking of. Do you reckon that is better than a fixed extension bar? I guess the pad would not stop the ladder sliding sideways.

Sponsored Links
61g02wYCBhL._AA160_.jpg

Aha. That is the sort of pad I was thinking of. Do you reckon that is better than a fixed extension bar? I guess the pad would not stop the ladder sliding sideways.

I have a number of safety devices for the ladders, the extension bar, ladder stabilisers, I have found these to be a bit awkward when one wants to move the ladder, they need re adjusting each time, and can work loose when the ladder is moved , great if you only want to work in one place.
The "stopper" pad is simple easy to move, plus you can still put a wooden wedge underneath a leg of the ladder to level it up so long as its on the Pad.
also tying the ladder off is must where possible.

A stand off attachment at the top of a ladder will help stop the ladder slipping sideways with or without wheels.

This is the type of Ladder "Stopper" I use. Not too expensive for peace of mind.

ladderstopper_lrg_2.jpg

LSDSTAND_thumb.jpg

Bosswhite. Thank you very much. Just the kind of info I was hoping for. The ladder stopper and stand off looks like the way forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back