Lady in need of some advice - damp wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening.

(I have also posted on the Building Forum)

Apologies if my query is basic, but my husband has been in a bit (read denial) that this is an issue. I think it is because he fears it will be a big job to remedy. But it is totally doing my head in so I thought I would seek some advice.

When we bought this house 6 years ago the plasterwork was poor and there was a slight damp patch where this big problem has now manifested itself. We took the plaster off and back to brick, the plasterer said he had done whatever it needed for the walls to be damp proofed, can't remember what he said.

As you can see from the pics, there is blown plaster, clear damp on the walls.

This is an internal wall apart from the corner which is internal then external.

Looking at advice on here, the airbricks are not blocked, I can only assume the problem can be coming from the chimney that is still present but capped off, the chimney breast has been knocked out way before we moved in both in this room and the bedroom above. There is no problem on the wall in the bedroom nor on any other rooms or walls in the house.

Where should my investigations begin, what am I looking for. I guess if it is the chimney the loft is the obvious starting point.

If I have leaking flashing what are the signs.

Sorry to sound so numptyish, but I am determined to sort this problem out if only to prove a point (childish I know)

Edited to add: I forgot that I had posted about this when we first bought the house. Just re read my post from back then

Thanks in advance of any replies.

View media item 40308 View media item 40309
View media item 40310 View media item 40311

Sponsored Links
What material is the floor of?
Is there any signs of this damp issue at the other side of the internal wall?
On the external wall, outside is there a damp proof course visible and how high is this from the ground surface?

The floor is solid oak which we installed this was nailed to the original floorboards beneath, where the old fireplace had been was the concrete hearth.
The internal wall is the party wall with my neighbours, they have no issues on their side.
The damp proof course is visable, will measure how far this is from the surface when I get back home.

There is a post of the fence attached to the external wall which is the boundry between both our houses, I havent checked to see how this is attached will do this too.

Thanks for the reply :)

My guess is that the damp course didn't include the back of the chimney as the breast was in the way. When it was knocked out it left you with a section of wall with no damp course.

If it were me, I'd get some damp injection stuff that fits in a standard cartridge gun (like decorators caulk) and inject it into the mortar course. It won't cost a lot and will at least cover that angle of things.

Then I'd get some of that plastic orangey matting stuff and fix it to the wall. Plaster over it and Bob's your uncle.

Sponsored Links
does the gutter or dpwnpipe leak in heavy rain?

Hi

There is a DPC it is in the second course of bricks above ground level.

There isnt a downpipe near this part of the house, but the ground does slope down towards the house slightly. The gutters are cleared and fine.

Its like detective work isnt it trying to get to the root of problems in the house!

Thanks

It sounds like an old house. If so, it's probably made with lime mortar, not cement, and you need to learn about how to treat lime. Google for "period property" + dampness and study the results. Basically, you shouldn't mix new materials with lime, you must use breathable products and DON'T install a DPC.

Regardless of construction, the basic rule for dampness is to tackle all possible sources of water - it has to come from somewhere (tiles/gutters/downpipes/flashing/high ground beside walls/poor ventilation/leaking plumbing etc)

See my blog at http://houseintheenchantedforest.blogspot.com/ for the story on how I dried out this 170 year old house. Now snug, warm and cosy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back