Lady in need of advice about damp wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening.

Apologies if my query is basic, but my husband has been in a bit (read denial) that this is an issue. I think it is because he fears it will be a big job to remedy. But it is totally doing my head in so I thought I would seek some advice.

When we bought this house 6 years ago the plasterwork was poor and there was a slight damp patch where this big problem has now manifested itself. We took the plaster off and back to brick, the plasterer said he had done whatever it needed for the walls to be damp proofed, can't remember what he said.

As you can see from the pics, there is blown plaster, clear damp on the walls.

This is an internal wall apart from the corner which is internal then external.

Looking at advice on here, the airbricks are not blocked, I can only assume the problem can be coming from the chimney that is still present but capped off, the chimney breast has been knocked out way before we moved in both in this room and the bedroom above. There is no problem on the wall in the bedroom nor on any other rooms or walls in the house.

Where should my investigations begin, what am I looking for. I guess if it is the chimney the loft is the obvious starting point.

If I have leaking flashing what are the signs.

Sorry to sound so numptyish, but I am determined to sort this problem out if only to prove a point (childish I know)

Edited to add: I forgot that I had posted about this when we first bought the house. Just re read my post from back then :mad:

Thanks in advance of any replies.

View media item 40308 View media item 40309 View media item 40310 View media item 40311

Sponsored Links
the plasterer said he had done whatever it needed for the walls to be damp proofed, can't remember what he said.
Damping proofing the walls is waste of time because you're hiding the damp problems, all that will do causing the damp problem situation will go elsewhere. Once you find out what causing the damp then the walls will dry out. A common problem could be poor flashings round chimney, bad bricks pointing, even poorly fitted gutter can do this, you can start by looking at inside the loft for any water stained on chimney section and roof rafters, water tanks etc Any central heating or cold feed pipe buried in the walls which could be leaking? I would say you haven't got a serious problem and my money would be on exterior problem, just finding it can be hard to find! If the problem is on the ground floor then check the dpc level is not covered by anything such as rubbish or high flower bed that's bridging the dpc. So it can be exterior, condensation or leaking penetrating damp.

It seems to be a rising damp issue, and I can't see how it relates to the chimney breast if it has been removed

The plaster needs to come off, so you may as well hack it off and inspect the bare wall beneath

If this is a party wall, then the neighbour should be having the same problem

It seems to be a rising damp issue, and I can't see how it relates to the chimney breast if it has been removed
doh! I may have mis-read that! A little confused, the chimney that is still present being capped off, I thought at the very top then went on to say "If I have a leaking flashing what are the signs " and the chimney breast has been knocked out in the room etc !!

Sponsored Links
I thought the second image was a close-up of a naked bottom as i quickly side glanced it. :eek: :oops: :oops:

Hi

Glad my pics have amused you, I see the point of the 2nd pic :)

It is the party wall, there is no problem on neighbours side, we've asked, we've been in and looked, definately no problems.

I probably haven't explained myself well as I am not too sure what I am going on about but it is (a) Party wall (b) used to have a chimney breast that went up through both floors removed many years before we moved in (c) the chimney was uncapped, so we had it capped off when we moved in with one of the caps with vents in it.

The loft is accessible but not boarded out, so need to tread carefully.

I guess I am just looking for starting points. Its like my nemesis now I am determined to get to the root of it.

One question if it was rising damp would that not effect the rest of the house? (numpty question)

There is a DPC, that is in the second course of bricks above the ground on the outside.

Can a slight ingress of water/moisture cause this or would it have to be a lot?

Thanks in advance
Jane

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back