Lagging CH pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi friendly folks

I have a dead easy Q today.

I shall be having a CH system installed (from scratch) in the next few weeks. And was wondering whether I should have the pipework insulated right from scratch, or is this something that should happen after its been installed?

And if I do at the time of installation, what thickness of the insulation should it be? Unfortunately I do not know whether it will be copper or plastic. Also and will there be a significant increase in the bill if this is done?

Thanks once again :LOL:

Marie

Sponsored Links
Where are the pipes going that need to be lagged.ie loft?
Some lagging can be more expensive than the pipe itself also depending on thickness and how pipes are run it may not go on afterwards.

You should ensure that you know what material is to be used before placing a contract to install pipework!

Most of the professionals on here would prefer copper unless special aspects apply.

Pipework below ground floors should always be lagged ( but rarely is ! ).

Tony

Hi Namsag / Agile

Sorry I didnt explain that very well. ;)

I am in a south-facing 100yr old back-to-back terrace in Leeds. The boiler (probably Worcester 24i Junior) is to be placed in the cellar, with 1 radiator in the front room, bathroom, 2nd bedroom and top floor. There is no loft, as that is where the main bedroom is. In the bathroom will be a new thermatastic mixer shower (orig have an electric).

The Q, I think is, should the pipes be lagged under the floor boards, up the walls etc? Or in specific places? There is no cavity wall installation, as there is no gap to speak of in these walls.

I shall be getting some more quotes this week, so I will ask them when we speak.
Thanks
M

Sponsored Links
As I understand it the most important areas to lag are those in area's of the house that are unheated as more heat will be lost from the pipes. I think insulating wherever you can will help, but the amount of money it'll cost to lag them in these parts of the house will be of little ROI.

The boiler (probably Worcester 24i Junior) is to be placed in the cellar,
Lag all the pipes in the cellar and under the ground floor. Also lag the hot and cold water pipes in the cellar.

should the pipes be lagged under the floor boards, up the walls etc?
Don't lag the pipes up the walls or under the first floor floorboards as the loss of heat actually contributes to the heating of the room. In any case, insulated pipes are more noticeable than ones painted to match the wall. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back