Laid patio on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend borrowed a wakerplate and we hammered down the stones first. Then on top mixed the cement . At the front to keep the slabs at the same height as the others I had to put two inches of mortar which I felt was too thick so mixed in some of stones in cement or underneath. Used the level as a straight edge to see if it touched all long rhe slabs and none not touching. Didn't care if not level. Was this done right?
20190501_173340.jpg
20190501_195435.jpg

Sponsored Links
Needs 2” minimum. Would help to have laid an edge stone first or it risks movement.

Needs 2” minimum. Would help to have laid an edge stone first or it risks movement.

I take it that's two inches of ballast? As pure mortar wouldn't be strong enough alone to stop slabs sinking , would it.

By edging do you mean that stuff u see on the sides of pavements?

Sharps sand mix can easily be used , have 100mm under my sandstone slabs in back garden, only slumps if it has too much water .
So I used 100mm of type 1 , then 100mm of concrete topped with between 60-100mm mix under slabs, ( they vary between 22-45 mm thick).

Sponsored Links
Sharps sand mix can easily be used , have 100mm under my sandstone slabs in back garden, only slumps if it has too much water .
So I used 100mm of type 1 , then 100mm of concrete topped with between 60-100mm mix under slabs, ( they vary between 22-45 mm thick).

Cant see an edging stone on yours? Looks good though. Would you recommend putting more cement on mine around edges for more support? Currently they're hanging a bit over edge

It's only having a shed on it though

Last edited:

How long you leave the concrete yo go off before putting mortar on?

Couple of days will do in good weather.
You can see my edge, granite sets on this pic of frontage.
Me and my friend will put shed on the slabs tomorrow. That's three days . Will they be ok to stand on then?

Is it the key to have a straight edge run flat on the slabs but sloping slightly in one direction for drainage?

Me and my friend will put shed on the slabs tomorrow. That's three days . Will they be ok to stand on then?

Is it the key to have a straight edge run flat on the slabs but sloping slightly in one direction for drainage?
Yes level one direction slight fall on the other , should be ok for a shed base , level the shed though .

Couple of days will do in good weather.
You can see my edge, granite sets on this pic of frontage.

How do you get the gaps made? Do you use spacers similar to tiling?

I assume you always dig down for hardcore and concrete to be below the surface

How do you get the gaps made? Do you use spacers similar to tiling?

I assume you always dig down for hardcore and concrete to be below the surface
The gaps are judged by eye as the slabs dimensions are not uniform and vary in size.

How do you get it so black.

Too narrow and difficult to grout, too wide and risks breaking up.
15mm?

By the way, one of my slabs came loose and is rocking a bit. Should I knock them all down to stick?

What's the rubber mallet u use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back