Laing Easiform Type 2/3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

We found a house and put an offer in which was accepted. Our mortgage advisor then came round the other day and mentioned the construction - we weren't aware of it until we did some research yersterday (he only knows as he did one in the same area a little while ago), which as it turns out is Laing Easiform. It was built in the 50's which suggests it is of the type 2 or 3 (poured in situ rather than 'true' prefab), and is not of the inferior quality of the earlier types.

I say type 2 or 3 as some say type 2 is most common but was only used upto the very late 40s, with type 3 being using thereafter.

This url suggests Laing in general aren't deemed defective - http://www.buildingsurveys.co.uk/2011/laing-easi-form-housing/

So really I'm wanting to find out if I should proceed or if it's time to bail! Looking at recent house sales suggest theirs been no problems with people getting mortgages on them (unless they were all cash buyers!), and/or it's worth getting a structural survey done.

In an ideal world somebody would tell me that only the earlier types had the problems and type 2/3 are don't!! :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
All properties can have problems

If there are no significant problems found when you have the survey done, then there is no reason not to buy it.

You would be foolish not to buy a property just because it is a certain construction

That's just the response I need. Thanks :)

Is there any more or any less difficulty in working with concrete buildings. It does need a lot of work doing (gut and restart) which involves sinking things in wall channels.

I've been told it's a bit harder to do such work;

etc. etc.

You won`t be able to channel into cast concrete :idea: but as it`s a total refurb you could hide conduits behind dry lining - the flue for the gas boiler could be awqward too - a normal diamond hole saw in an sds won`t do it . Out of interest is it an ex. Coal Board house

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, have no idea about ex. Coal Board House.

If you can't channel concrete, how would the original wiring have been done? I didn't spot any surface mount wiring/sockets. Going back tomorrow to have a good look.

The pluming is surface mount but that's probably because the house was built before CH was used.

The boiler is 7 years old and the flu has already been cored out.

Oh I don't really want to board everywhere as what a waste of time and money! In terms of re-wire I was expecting to use existing channeling where I wanted sockets in the same place, and just put new channels in where needed.

One of the radiators is under a window that we want to knock out for french doors - as the pipe is surface mount I thought about channeling them in the floor...

Unless the current install is boarded - didn't check actually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back