What is Type-2 fill ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm clearing the site for my daughter's new extension for which the structural engineer has specified a raft foundation to handle the difficult soil condiitions (6ft of clay!). He has specifed on the drawings that there sould be min 225mm of 'type-2 fill' under the raft. We have a lot of previous builder's rubbish on site e.g broken and full bricks, lumps of concrete etc. and I was wondering if this will suffice as 'type-2 fill' possibly if we break up the bricks etc into some lumps of a maximum size. This seems preferable to carrying out a load of stuff and then carrying another load back again (only access is via the house!). More specifically, is there a spec on 'type-2 fill' (maybe size of material within) ?

Thanks
Ron

Sponsored Links
As I see it mate, its an aggregate mix with the gravel being no bigger than 25mm and no smaller than 5mm, but I'd be inclined to check this with the structural engineer.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Is this something that BC expect compliance with in great detail? I've generated a lot of hardcore during demolition and intended to use this as a compacted based under my new floor. I dare say there are bits smaller than 5mm and larger than 25mm though.

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back