Laminate Expansion Gap - between rooms - max length/width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Apologies to everyone for a question i'm sure has been posed a thousand times before!

I have purchased a load of "Colours Staccato Natural Oak Parquet Effect Laminate Flooring" from YouKnowWho. [link below]
Everything i've seen online refers to floorboard style laminate and this stuff seems completely different. Quite thick, solid and 2.5 times wider than the usual stuff.
It appears to be green fibrous stuff underneath the normal pattern layer and after sawing it almost looks like solid green plastic.

So with all this in mind, do i still need an expansion gap as its not wood?
More importantly do i need an expansion gap between my living room and dining room [see image].

I would prefer to carry on the pattern seemlessly without using a T-bar expansion joint but don't know how far i can lay before i need an expansion joing in the middle.
Do i need one at all as with it being this green stuff and not wood.

Thank you all for looking and hope someone can help, or better still have used this style before.

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/floori...99345&ef_id=Uwz1DQAABQzfq496:20140225195453:s

Sponsored Links
It looks like a floating product, so yes you need a 10mm expansion gap all the way round, including under door frames etc.

Not being able to see any room plan, i'd suggest fit it through the two areas in one, you can always retro fit a T-Profile if you do experience an expansion issue later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back