Bit of trim in middle of long length of laminate...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having laminate floor (10mm thick, the click-and-go stuff) laid on the entire ground floor of a small terraced house.

At its longest it covers around 8 to 9 metres - going from the front door, through the living room, into a small hallway (base of the staircase) then straight into the dining room... as I say, at its very longest, about 8 or 9 metres.

The laminate was started in the dining room and has reached the little hallway at the base of the stairs. I am being advised to put a piece of strip where the laminate enters the living room.

This will utterly - utterly - destroy the overall effect.

The instructions clearly say that I need to cater for expansion. I am not saying anyone is wrong. What I am asking is whether I can get away with it... there is expansion gaps all around each edge - just this long length needs an 'extra' gap.

This is a bit gutting. Would you follow the instructions or take a chance? Is it liable to explode?!?

Sponsored Links
you can take the risk and iff a problem crops up then retrospectivley fit a strip
but at your expence
theres a fair chance you may have problems

You should really split it but if you cut the whole door jam out so you have around 20-30mm expansion you should be ok. I've ran through a lot of hallways. Never had a call back but I always explain it should gphave a doorbar.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back