What direction should I lay my laminate floor in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read several opinions about the direction you should lay your laminate floor in, all seem to say lay in the direction of light for square rooms, and lay parallel to the longest wall in rectangular rooms or hallways.

I can't quite decide about my kitchen/diner though.

Its rectangular in shape, with large doors/windows along one of the long sides.

Based on the longest wall approach I should lay the laminate lengthways, i.e across the room and across the light source.

However, as I am putting in a breakfast bar in the middle of the room which in effect breaks the room into two areas making the shorter end walls the long walls, would I be better laying the laminate running with the light source? Surely this would look better?

Also, the dining area has a large open archway through to the sitting room which will have laminate laid in the direction of the light source. so should I be continuing the run right the way through?

Would be an expensive mistake if I don't get it right, so thought I would try and get some opinions on here!

Sponsored Links
You're the 'client' ;) Go with your own gut-feeling.

Another option would be to 'dry-lay' some packs in both the directions and see what suits your area best.

Lay a few lose planks & have a look & if you still cant decide.
Start where its easy.

cool, ill try drylaying some.

a mate told me that you're better off starting at a fiddly bit so you end up on an easy bit, is that not right then?

Sponsored Links
If you have never layed it b4, as I had not. I thought why start where its fiddly, by the time I came to the fiddly bit, It was easy.

when you start with the 'fiddly bits' you'll never sure if the first rows are straight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back