Laminate expansion gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our house has some nice skirting boards...but we want to install laminate flooring and we need to create an expansion gap.

Is there any tool that is used/recommended that can make a nice cut into the skirting board to create an expansion gap for our new laminate flooring?

Otherwise we'll have to use laminate edging strips that look crap!!

Thanks,

Simon.

Sponsored Links
Rip them off mate...sorry, but that's the only way if you don't want to use some form of edging strip.

I agree the laminate edging strips look like crap. I've used plain quarter staff in the past, and just stained it matching to the floor (see attached picture of cherry floor). That way it shifts colour as the floor does! But then I tend to use engineered wood flooring, and not laminate...

IMG_0084_1.JPG

It's all a matter of taste I guess, personally I think the edging strip can look quiet nice. It kind of 'blends' the floor to the walls in a smoother way. :)

I use a door trimmer for cutting the gap at the bottom of the skirting board to allow the laminated flooring to slide underneath ! The problem was if you hit a nail or damage the saw teeth into the wall, the blade is £120 each. Save me a lot of work without having to put beading down or removing skirting boards but you will need to chop out into the internal corner skirting board with a chisel as the saw blade will not reach it.
03141.jpg

About £25 per day plus damage if any !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back