Laminate installation - gap between plasterboard and floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am installing laminate flooring in a bedroom and there is a large gap between the plasterboard and floor. I've removed the skirting as I'm going to replace it and it will hide the expansion gap. I want to fill it somehow so i can use spacers to get the correct expansion gap and be able to lay the floor at the edges. Any tips on this as I'm sure its a common problem.

Thanks

John

1677767235024.png

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about it, the skirting will hide it.
Just make sure you leave an expansion gap all around the laminate of around 10mm.
If the laminate goes under the plasterboard, just go flush.
As long as the laminate has somewhere to go if it expands.

Thanks Johnny I did another room and over time the floor moved and created a gap one side so I kinda want to limit the gap to prevent this.
And if you put the planks into the gap then you have issues clicking them.
I might be worrying unnecessarily but in that other room I had to cut the skirting board tap them back and close the gap.

Cheers

John

Sponsored Links
Thanks Johnny I did another room and over time the floor moved and created a gap one side so I kinda want to limit the gap to prevent this.
And if you put the planks into the gap then you have issues clicking them.
I might be worrying unnecessarily but in that other room I had to cut the skirting board tap them back and close the gap.

Cheers

John
There are ways around it.
Bear in mind that most of the edges are covered by furniture, so a little mistake is forgivable.
Of course not if you pay a professional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back