Laminate floor block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Were would i get a decent block to hit the laminate floor into place with, I tried focus own brand, it soon broke up, and was i only tapping, It will be the cheap laminate i use, B and Q or homebase

Regards

Sponsored Links
Use a block of wood (batten size, 50 x 50 x 150 - 200mm), much better.

I thought that, but thought it would break the laminate lip, so went with the block, when i do the room i will try the wood block,

Whats the trick not to break the floor, is it light taps?

Cheers

Best trick is to buy good quality laminate or wood-engineered or solid wood :LOL:
When you have to tap really hard, there is something wrong with the fit of the T&G (lower quality products). Too loose a fit is the other side of the coin and also tells something about the low quality of the product.
Light tapping should be sufficient, just take your time.

Sponsored Links
cott99 said:
Were would i get a decent block to hit the laminate floor into place with

Use the laminate floor itself, or to be more accurate an off cut from a board. Using an offcut you can get the offcut "clicked" into position to tap in and because its a perfect fit the T&G won't be damaged.

Depending on the make you only need to give gentle to light taps to get them to click together and butt up tightly.

Help!

We have wickes parawood engineered wood floor. We are trying with a rubber mallet and tapping block or pulling bar. We cannot get the tongue and groove to close - what are we doing wrong?? ????

Trying with regular hammer - isn't any better. ??????

Is it just a really poor quality product?

:confused:

when fitting engineered floors that are glued on the t & g you need to used straps strap them up then using a tapping block and hammer tap the boards together the tension in the straps should help to pull the floor together

Thanks, and that might be the answer but please can I double check -

they're supposedly glueless and the instructions make out like it SHOULD be really easy to tap together with a tapping block.

is strapping the way to go or are there any other suggestions? the first two were so so so hard to do I'm close to returning the product as not-fit-for purpose.

click-system, the 'problem-free' floor ;)

Have you checked if the ridges on both sided aren't in any way damaged? have you tried various angles

yep, have tried a few different planks from two different packs and at angles.

later edit:

tried standing on other board and not, tried tapping gentle and hard
tried larger tapping block and larger jemmy (this did help a little)
tried belting it with the hammer
tried angles in three planes

tried the manufacturer helpline twice
watched in person a demonstration from a manufacturer trained shop assistant
watched a demonstration on the manufacturer website and read their pdf
watched the b&q dvds

gave up, returned it. pity cos it looked great. stuck with no floor or skirting boards and a load of kit.

humph

but thanks for your help. might be back when we decide what to replace it with !

when fitting solid or enginered wood if the joints dont go together use a ratchet strap and strap it tite and chap the board in.and that shoud do the trick and then secure the board.]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back