Laminate floor cracking over small lump - fixes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just before Covid my mum got her kitchen done after 40 years of a rickety DIY job. On the whole everything seems very well installed with a few little annoying bits. There is a nice looking laminate floor but it's gone down over concrete (I assume underlay) and there are a few bits where they're overlooked some small raised bits of concrete. I can visualise what they are - when the concrete floor was put in originally there were what looked like tiny splashes of cement which made no difference to the original cork tiles and then subsequent vinyl flooring. However over the 3 years it's been in, as they've been walked over there are a couple of 50p sized lumps in the current laminate with some small cracks appearing. Ideally my mum would have asked them to sort out properly at the time but they convinced her it wouldn't be an issue and it would take a lot of extra work.

My query is whether there's anything I can put on now to try to preserve the laminate and stop it cracking further - thinking of some sort of epoxy - but don't want to make a mess - it's a wood look with matt finish. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is the floor glued down or floating?

my mum would have asked them to sort out properly at the time but they convinced her it wouldn't be an issue and it would take a lot of extra work.
more like they couldn't be bothered fixing their lack of preparation cockup so they spun a story. I don't suppose you have that "it will be fine" statement in writing?

Not much can be done to fix that without lifting the laminate and making repairs to the subfloor.

Sponsored Links
(Which isn't as onerous as it sounds, but it's annoying that they didn't just take the time to pound the raised lumps with a hammer when the floor was up last time.. Ten mins of prep would have avoided this)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back