Laminate Floor - Is corking expansion strip big enough??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, im planning to lay a laminate floor. i have bought floor that is 7mm in height and fibreboard underlay that is 6mm in height, giving me 13mm. most cork strips i've seen are 8mm in height which just about covers the height of the underlay but i fear may not be high enough to do its job with the laminate. is it possible to buy taller cork or is 8mm sufficient?

Sponsored Links
hmmmm.... interesting, but makes perfect sense. i've been looking at other opinions and i've just visited your woodyoulike site :)

i've just read a recommendation to fill the gap about 50%, but i dont see that would serve any purpose. i'm glad i asked here before paying out for some useless cork :)

thanks, kris

one other question, im flooring downstairs and its concrete but its been tiled on top, not sure if its vinyl or actual tiles. it's whatever you get left with after you pull up carpet and underlay. house looks like it was built in the 70's. do i need a waterproof membrane for this?

Sponsored Links
Are the tiles still firmly stuck to the underfloor? If so, use a combi-underlayment that contains a DPM to prevent any 'sweating' of the tiles reaching the - I can hardly say wood here, can I now? - new floor.
If possible, return the 7mm fibre boards - they are a pain - and use the combi-underlayment instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back