Laminate flooring and skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My decorators would like to hold off the fixing of skirting boards in my lounge until i've decided whether i'm going for carpets or laminate flooring. They say that if I decide to go for laminate flooring then the skirting boards need to be fixed aferwards, on top of the flooring.

I really want to get the decorating completed now so is it still okay to have the skirting boards fitted and painted. They would be fixed against the floor, so no gap. Would laminate flooring still be an option for me in this case?

Sponsored Links
You can install laminate either way...

Both methods have pro`s and cons

- By fitting skirting on top you save having to fit beading/scotia but if you ever revert back to carpet you will have to refit the skirts which may involve replastering the wall!

- By fitting skirts first you can still have laminate but would need to fit scotia to hide the expansion gap. However if you ever remove the laminate you will not have a gap under the skirting board

Bothy methods are equally acceptable methods of installation.
At the end of the day its your choice not your decorators!!!!

Okay, many thanks. I'll get the skirting fitted flush to the floorboards and decided on the flooring later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back