laminate flooring - best way to conceal the expansion gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help. I have just bought a laminate floor (dark in colour) and if at all possible I want to avoid using scotia. However, I don't want to remove the skirting.

I've been looking into flat beading, but I can't find the right colour to match it. The online company I just spoke to said that because flat beading is attached to the actual floor that it can look tatty when the flooring moves as it comes away from the wall. Is this the case? Or can you suggest any good stores?

If I have to use scotia does it would to use white scotia when using a dark laminate floor so it's less noticeable against the skirting?

Any help would be very welcome!!!

Sponsored Links
Coloured silicon sealant or caulk may not look so obvious as for the beading what is there to stop you fixing the the skirting rather than the boards.

You can attach the scotia to the skirting, but will the flat bead because its flat you cant nail it to the skirting as there are no edges to put the nails into.

You could use a Jamb Undercut Saw, this will let you trim the skirting with out removing it, then push your laminate under, remember to allow for the expansion gap

Sponsored Links
If you set the saw up correctly you should be ok, its a circular saw on its side, specially designed to do this.
I would suggest also using a multi-tool or master with a blade, then you can cut all the difficult bits out, that the jamb saw cannot get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back