Type and finish of scotia?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am fitting oak floorboards and am not going to take out the skirting, so I'm going to use some type of scotia. Although there is the option of using scotia to match the floor I've thought that then it will take the floor finish "onto the wall" if you see what I mean! Isn't it better to make the scotia appear to look like part of the skirting (in my case white)? Also anyone used quadrant beading for this purpose? Was thinking it would then "mirror" the top of the torus skirting. Any advice would be great - thanks.

Sponsored Links
It will look naff whatever you do, and moulding won't go round door architraves.

It will take about 20 minutes to de-skirting the average room, put the flooring under the skirting, the raised skirting level will then cover any minor damage where it detached from the wall finish.

I have used the white scotia I think it was from B&Q a couple of times it looked fine use a white paintable mastic / filler at the skirting and if you have a steady hand you can paint in that strip with the same paint as the skirting.

(It looks ok at first unpainted but after a while most mastics discolour)

Both customers were very happy with the result

Regarding skirtings it is the pukka way to do it, but it depends enormously on the type of property. From what I know of skirtings in old london houses half the wall comes away with the skirting board that was fitted with gigantic cut nails that rip holes in the skirting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back