Laminate flooring - expansion gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for repeating a question that is asked alot. It is normally asked in the context of wood engineered / wood flooring.

For laminate flooring rather then wood engineerned / wood flooring an expansion gap of 10mm is still required...yes?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
8 - 10mm would be best

Thanks for that.

Any thoughts on the best way to reduce a floor from moving around on the underlay?

I have a small area previously laid in teh hall way which seems to move around alot under normal foot traffic.

i.e. say you put your foot on the floor and twist it around...teh floor moves.

Because it is such a small area teh floor weight isn't heavy enough to stop it from moving.

Make sure you undercut the doorposts and slide the laminate boards underneath (while keeping the needed expansion gap, so make the cut deep enough). This will keep the floor 'down'.

with a light floor like this it might be better to remove your skirtingboards thirst, install the floor and install the skirtingboards back, again keeping your laminate floor down.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Have done the skirting boards off and under cutting of the door frame, although the skirting boards aren't back on yet as i wanted to give the floor a month or so to settle....plus I need to get round to sanding and repainting the skirting. :rolleyes:

I currently have say a 10mm gap all round. So waht happens is as people walk on it the floor the part under the door frame the floor slide into the expansion gap on teh other side of the hall way leaving 0mm that side and effectively 20mm at teh door frame....and thus expose the cut part of the wood.

with a light floor like this it might be better to remove your skirtingboards thirst, install the floor and install the skirtingboards back, again keeping your laminate floor down.

thiking about this some more..do yuo mean that by placing the skirting boards back on the wall that little bit of downward pressure it will have on teh floor will keep it in place?

In most cases, yes. Don't press it down otherwise the floor will have no 'room to move' when it should expand - which is rate with laminate flooring but can happen

8 - 10mm would be best

Yes, this difference will be best as the wood will be expanded in the heat and condensed in the cold. Laminate wood flooring is not an actual wood; it is enormously brunt and grazes defiant. These flooring is also extremely resistant to sunlight, stains and burns and is easy to maintain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back