Laminate Flooring - Have Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased some Aqualoc water resistant laminate flooring from B&Q for my shower room. On opening the packages I found the boards were bowed but read they must be left in the room for three days before fitting. Will that correct the fault?
2.I want to tile the walls down to floor level to just cover the boards. The tiles are 8mm thick, I find it would be easier to leave a expansion gap of 8mm not 10mm would this still be acceptable?
3.I want to start laying on the long wall and finish on the door wall but how do I lay the last board at the joining angle then drop it down to floor level and get it under the architrave?
4.The boards are 12mm thick and the underlay is 2mm thick so I will require a threshold bar in a silver colour to take 14mm on one side and a carpet with underlay on the other. Are these available.?
I purchased the B&Q dvd on how to lay laminate floors and everything looked straightforward but now I have found problems.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Greatgrey.

Sponsored Links
You say the boards are bowed, this should not be the case, take them back, they may have been stored poorly, B&Q have a bad rep for how they look after their stock.
When fitting the last piece you should remove the architrave and skirting.
I wouldn't think 8mm being a problem on a small floor but a large floor the amount of expansion would be greater.
The point you mentioned for the threshold, you may find a screw down capping may be best as it would take up any height change between the carpet and the laminated.

Sponsored Links
3.I want to start laying on the long wall and finish on the door wall but how do I lay the last board at the joining angle then drop it down to floor level and get it under the architrave?
I had a similar problem recently. First I cut a 10mm rebate into the architrave. Then, at the beginning of the final row I inserted a spacer that is the depth of the metal tapping bar (or the tapping bar itself) and then, using the tapping block, tapped the whole row to the left so that it butted against the spacer (bar). This created enough space for me to insert the final plank at the RH end. Then use the tapping bar I moved the whole row to the right to push the final plank just under the architrave and reset the LH expansion gap. I must say that I didn't use aqualoc but a similar design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back