Laminate flooring -join between floorboards and new concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.. I have a downstairs area I wish to laminate... I am trying to select underlay for the flooring.

Unfortunately there is a combination of floors to deal with.. In the kitcehn diner there is newly laid concrete flooring.. In the rest of the space it is floorboards.

Now the underlay I have found for the concrete is the timbermate excel which is 3mm thick

For the floor boards I dont want a membrane so I am thinking of getting Techni-Board boards.... These have great heat and sound insulation... But these are 5mm thick.

Would this cause a problem at the join?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
You forgot to mention if the floors meet level or with a step and where they meet? At a doorway then a threshold strip can be used to join the differing heights.

If the floors are level, use TimbermateXL on concrete areas and the non membrane version - Duratex on the timber floor areas.

Guys

I like the timbermate idea... they dont join at a step or door way.. the boards will lay over the join.

My builder suggested "thicker the better" as far as underlay goes.

Sponsored Links
Guys

I like the timbermate idea... they dont join at a step or door way.. the boards will lay over the join.

My builder suggested "thicker the better" as far as underlay goes.

TimbermateXL and Duratex is made by the same company - Duralay, you only want to be putting the foil over the concrete as it will make the wood area of sub floor sweat, that's why Duratex over the other area is suggested. Duralay have designed these products to sit side by side under the same floor.

Of course what you decide to do is up entirely to you.

As usual, the builder is not a floor layer and suggests wrong!!

About 4mm is perfect, never exceed 6mm, if you want a more solid floor, choose a thicker board but the underlay should not be thicker than 6mm, you'll introduce unwanted/excessive bounce which will result in an odd feeling floor or failed joints.

If the floor is not level, it needs sorting before underlay and fitting.

He did admit "go with what the floor fitters say"... He is going to completely level the floor.

I think I am going to go with techni-board underlay.

For the following reasons

its thicker than other underlays
doesn't require a water proof membrane
will go on concrete and floor boards
and has a really good heat insulation value

Not sure if its the best sound stopper

but on ground floor that doesn't matter

Thanks for all your help guys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back