laminate flooring " lifting" problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, need some advice...we have had just over 3 months ago laminate flooring installed in living room & dining room areas...all has been fine except for the last approx 2/3 weeks there is a definate lifting of the laminate in middle of room (ie when you tread on it it actually springs up and down approx i would guess around a 1/4 of an inch..there are only about 4 to 5 strips that are affected...the floor has not gotten wet..it was laid by professional floor company not by me..it seems to me like that it does not have room to expand..but also, we did have a door installed ( bifold) after the flooring was laid and i see there is a small screw into a bracket that helps to hold door level & the screw is screwed into the flooring....could this screw be stopping the floor expanding ? i have the company coming up to look at the floor on wednesday & they have already told me that the flooring ONLY expands width ways NOT length ways...is that right ? and i do not want them to say the screw has caused the problem if it has not or could not have..but if it has caused the problem i will accept it is my fault..i just do not want to be hoodwinked & allow them to get away with not putting the floor right, sorry to rant on..but any advice /help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
remove the screw and see what happens leave it out untill they have looked do not mention the screw as once removed it will not effect the expansion

the likley cause is insufficient or blocked expantion gap
how big is the continuos run assuming 12mm around the edges you run should not be greater than around 6-8m as you need 4mm expansion per metre

if you have a door without an expansion gap count the distance both sides

It is actual wood that expands on its width and not very much on its length due to the grain.

If your product is purely laminate i.e. with no wood veneer then this would not apply. It will expand on all sides.

hi guys...thanks so much for the responses...firstly, i have now taken the screw out ( just wondered IF this was a possible cause of the "lifting" how long would it take to settle down again ? ) but personally i do not think the screw is the problem as it is very small, secondly the complete length & width of the rooms together is approx 7mtrs x 5 mtrs...the laminate is laid straight thru the two rooms as previously there was an archway linking the two rooms but we had the bifold doors installed to cut down heating costs..the ONLY expansion areas are around the entire edge of the rooms covered with what i know know is called "scotia" to cover the expansion gaps...i have no idea if they have or have not left enough expansion...but i really do not want to be bamboozled by " oh its not out fault...because of this that and the other"...except for the screw that was in the floor NOTHING else has been changed by me...if you have any further advice/help it once again will be greatly appreciated, many thanks

ps the floor is totally all laminate

Sponsored Links
i would assume the hump is pretty much in line with the door and opposit wall!!!
or is it more than a few feet to one side!!!

is there heavy furniture in the immediate area off to the side off the hump!!!

hi again..the hump is pretty much central under the archway ( where we had the bifold doors fitted, thats why i wondered if it were to do with the small screws holding down a bracket connected to the floor & attached to the frame of the bifold doors...there is NO lifting immediately by the bifold doors..it starts approx about a foot away( if you can imagine that?) there are no heavy furniture items at all in the near proximity of the hump,thanks again

if its through the archway the solution is to remove 20mm off the floor central in the arch and introduce a threashold strip but first check the expansion gaps are clear by removing the expansion cover strips on the parralel walls opposit the door area

basicly you have 2 rooms that can expand to all walls except in the door area where they clash if you can improve the expansion on the outer wall then it may ease !!!
you can do this by remove 7mm from at least one outside edge wall or introduce a gap in the archway

hi guys..well the company came and looked at the flooring problem...they say they have never seen this problem before & the probable cause is moisture or damp...i am 100% sure it is not damp...they have conntacted the laminate floring manufacturers ( apparently) to come and have alook themselves...while the guys were here looking at the problem..they took the scotia off the sides & ends of the room..the set up is as follows....at one end of the room(s) the flooring goes right up to the marble fire surrounds..there is NO expansion gap there it is just fitted very very tight with what looks like a very very very thin insert of glue to stick it to the marble fire surround...while at the other end of the room the far wall they removed the scotia and the expansion gap had closed completely & the guy commented that he was surprised it had not taken off the skirting board....now, if i look down the centre of the room(s)( to the farthest wall) being lined up with marble fireplace the hump is in line with the fireplace...could the reason the hump being there is because there is NO expansion gap around the fireplace ?..for information the marble fireplace hearth (where there is NO expansion left is 4ft wide..by 15inches deep, many thanks for ant input on this

at this stage you need to find out if theres a damp problem
you should always "start"with the correct expansion gap including at fireplaces doorways pipes ect

if the wood is fully settled you need a minimum expansion gap as the floor will contract as well as expand
once your shure the floor has fully expanded then go for a 3mm expansion gap at the fireplace and a further 6mm in hidden areas

bumps will apear directly between 2 pinch points either directly accross the board or at an angle if they are offset

hi again...still waiting to hear from the floor company about what is happening...but i have been thinking about the floor for quite a while...and what i can gauge from you guys & the net..there SHOULD be expansion gaps all round the floor edges.doors,fireplaces etc etc...but as i have said there is NO expansion gaps around the fireplace ( and as i mentioned previously when the guys took off the edging to check the farthest wall in the room ( opposite end to fireplace )...the flooring had expanded as tight to the wall as was possible...so am i wrong or right then in the following...if there is NO expansion gap around the fireplace then the laminate cannot expand any further that way as it is pushing against marble...therefore as it has expanded at the furthest wall and cannot go any further that way & at the fireplace it is pushing against marble...surely any further expansion would in effect be to expand against each laminate board therefore forcing boards together & lifting them up because they cannot move anywhere else due to fireplace marble & furthest wall already having the laminate expanded as far as possible? am i right or not in my questions ?...really dont know but i thought that was alogical solution to the boards lifting, again any ideas/help appreciated

yes you are right places withought expansion are commonly called PINCH POINTS
and are causing the problem because the boards have no where to expand to

now normaly the solution it cut from the edges to allow the wood to settle but iff you have an excess off mousture you need to let it dry for one to let the floor settle down two to check for mold or dammage

is this company that laid you floor a well established floor company or a general builder or handyman

if it is a builder /or handyman set up ask for the contact details off whom they spoke too and what the agreement was with the flooring suppliers

i have the feeling it a lets wait and hope it goes away senario :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hi again. thanks for that info...the company is a "proper" flooring company..been about a good few years, but i to get the feeling that they ...hope i will go away...but having only had the floor down for about 3 months ( and costing a small fortune for them to do ) i will not go away ! :)..i am glad you agree that from my point of view if the flooring has nowhere to expand lengthwise then it must force itself "upwards" which it certainly is doing...the company said they would get in touch with the manufacturers to arrange an inspection of the flooring problem & i will give them a week to arrange something..if that fails i am contacting a solicitor friend & ask for his advice on what action i can take ( letter wise only at first ) but i want to be prepared, i have also emailed a reputable flooring company (another one) just to get confirmation in writing that there MUST be an expansion gap around the marble fireplace, many thanks for you advice & help...all the best

hello,

right then, this sounds to me that there was not enough expansion left in the first place. Hence your problem.

Now if you house is damp and the extra moister is causing the problem, well surely the company who installed checked your floorboards/concrete floor moister levels before installing? (they should of) There responsible for this!

I can offer a inspection /report on your floor if you need. Our reports will stand up in court etc (not like the one from another shop your thinking of getting!)

However it sounds to me like your floor can be put right with little effort (with the correct tools)

Simply ask the company in question to come and cut expansion in the flooring!

hi matty, thanks for the reply...i to firmly believe that the expansion gaps were not adequate...especially around the marble fireplace...there is NO gap there at all...i will take you up on your offer of the report if i need it thank you...i cannot see on here where to send you my email address ( except in a post...is there another option on here to send it ?) i am 100% sure it is not damp,as far as i know no tests were done on the floor either..i have contacted the company and told them i am going to pursue legal action if it is not sorted...i have given them till next friday to sort it out...they are saying it is the fault of the laminate itself and have to get a representative to view it..i think thats rubbish but have given them a week to arrange that...if by next friday it is not been sorted then action from me will be taken...so if you could let me know how to contact you about the report..i would be most grateful...many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back