laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
laminate flooring was laid in one continuous batch over 3 rooms and a hall 5 years ago - one of the rooms has a large rug and every time it is lifted there is an accumulation of white powder - the floor in that room had some sort of levelling product on top of an ash type floor (1950s council house) - the installer can no longer be contacted - is there a way of sealing the floor? (I'm assuming that the powder is associated with the levelling or underlay and that it is harmless - lifting/relaying the floor is not a viable option.
thanks
Philbee

Sponsored Links
It appears that the white powder must be coming from the underside of the rug as it cannot travel upwards through a laminate floor. I think the action of walking on the rug over time is causing the backing to perish slowly hence the white powder.

could even be residual from what you do on top off the rug
like talc fag ash powders from pet treatment rug treatment like shake and vac
or even just general grit dust and salt from your footwear or pets

Sponsored Links
I have the exact same problem, but its not just under the rug, there is little piles of white powder in front of the skirting boards as well. But a lot seems to accumulate under the rug. I changed the rug thinking it was that, hoover regularly. Its really odd and must be coming from the floor as it is in every room with laminate flooring.

laminate is constructed from wood pulp compressed [mdf] or flakes off wood [chipboard]
so not coming from the laminate
does your house smell damp
is the laminate ever allowed to get more than slightly damp for more than a few seconds??

If you take a piece of wire wool and rub it on most laminate floors, the top surface wears off and is the appearance of a fine white powder. Not all laminates do this - Pergo for instance does not - I wonder if there is a possibility that this is a very cheap laminate and the coatings are wearing and the dust settling under the rug area where cleaning is less regular?

If you take a piece of wire wool and rub it on most laminate floors, the top surface wears off and is the appearance of a fine white powder.

thats an interesting scenario and yes i accept fully what your saying
its just surprising a few microns off plastic can spare enough "material" for white dust and still protect the printed paper pattern :D :D

If you take a piece of wire wool and rub it on most laminate floors, the top surface wears off and is the appearance of a fine white powder.

thats an interesting scenario and yes i accept fully what your saying
its just surprising a few microns off plastic can spare enough "material" for white dust and still protect the printed paper pattern :D :D

Cant disagree with that, seems odd that the dust can't be identified easily :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back