Laminate flooring on a concrete base

• Thread starter davelowe1977
  • Start date
D

davelowe1977

Hello all. First post so be gentle.

I'm about to lay some laminate flooring on the ground floor of an old building. It was a pub from ~1900 - 2005 when it was turned into flats and comprehensively renovated.

Because of the age of the building, I'm doubtful if any DPM was originally present. It may have been added during the renovation (pretty certainly I would think - especially as the floor is concrete not stone/quarry tile).

Anyhow, the existing carpet is dry and when lifted up the concrete feels dry too. There are no mould issues or any type of observable damp in the room.

My plan is to paint two coats of Wickes' liquid damp proof membrane, then underlay with 2mm foam and finish with 6mm laminate.

10 years ago I did a similar thing with old wet quarry tiles in another property but screed 50mm over the top to level the floor. I used thicker underlay, but the laminate is still fine to this day.

Should I bother with the liquid DPM? Will is cause rising damp in the walls?

I have read the sticky on the subject, but this is a sub £80 job for my partner's child's room.

Your thoughts most appreciated. TIA.

Dave

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back