Laminate Flooring on a Staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my 100 year old house I want to laminate the floor in my hall and landing. I've thought about the concept of using laminate on the staircase, but I can't see how it can be done so that it looks good. Also, if I don't use laminate flooring on the staircase, what would be the best covering instead. Should I sand it down and varnish it? Does anyone have any advice or experience in this area?

Sponsored Links
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but why do you want to put laminate (melamine, plastic, see here) in a house that's 100 years old? Get at least proper wood-engineered flooring that will keep things into character.

For stairs laminate is too slippery and even wood-engineered is too difficult to install nicely. If the steps etc are too damaged now your best option is to glue, nail 'overlay' boards on it (6.2 or 10mm thick solid wood strips).

WoodYouLike said:
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but why do you want to put laminate (melamine, plastic, see here) in a house that's 100 years old? Get at least proper wood-engineered flooring that will keep things into character.
I don't see that it looks "out of character" Woody. Should I not be allowed a microwave in my kitchen because I live in an old house - should I only be allowed an aga? ;)

Sponsored Links
No Gcol, you're right on the issue of appliances. They don't add value to the home when you want to sell it on (aga would, microwave you take with you).

It's one of my 'hobby-horse' to keep 'old' houses in style when 'decorating' especially knowing how much 'value' a design gets when you move up the property ladder (and I still can't get over the fact that here in the UK most 'buyers' can't see beyond the 'design' and see the real possibilities of a home - bad house-doctoring and making lots of money being a so-called house-doctor that comes to mind).
Might not get my exact point across, but when you have a 100 year old house and you're thinking of wooden flooring, plastic shouldn't be on your mind, should it? (Besides the fact I 'hate' melamine)

My house has no character - it's 100 years old. That makes it old, not characterful. If you say character to me, I immediately think of uneven walls, not the lovely architecture.

Just blame it on my Dutch origins then :LOL: (But I'm sure you do know what I mean)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back