Laminate flooring prep advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install laminate flooring in my living room/dining room potentially Quick Step Impressive as it fits the WAF and looks straightforward to install.

The part that has me slightly confused is the prep before fitting. The floors are suspended t&g floorboards, in very good shape no bowing or loose boards and from my untrained eye and a decent sized level all looks level and flat. Prior to this we had a layer of 6mm hardboard and then carpet which has all been removed (hardboard/carpet had been attacked by our previous dog at various points over the years).

Before I fit the laminate would it be better to overboard the t&g again with hardboard or ply before laying the underlay or if it is as flat as I think it is would you just put the underlay down? I've been looking at the various underlays and as we never got round to insulating under the flooring I thought their "Thermolevel" would be a better option?

I'm not married to using Quick Step just based on what I've seen it looks to be good stuff and with potentially a puppy coming into the house again soon the whole hydroseal side of it could be beneficial for little accidents. But open to other options if there is better?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just thought I'd add here...

More confused with underlay options now! Went to the nearest stockist and they actually suggested just the green fibreboard underlay with the quickstep with the old "we've never had a problem in xx" would that cause warranty issues and I'm better sticking with the approved stuff or not?

Just laid 70m2 of quickstep , client bought the 3mm foam underlay which was fine , boards are fine for upper floor use as they offer slightly better noise baffle but not needed on ground floor .
Make sure you have floor laying kit to lay .
You will still need to wipe up puddles promptly .

Sponsored Links
Just laid 70m2 of quickstep , client bought the 3mm foam underlay which was fine , boards are fine for upper floor use as they offer slightly better noise baffle but not needed on ground floor .
Make sure you have floor laying kit to lay .
You will still need to wipe up puddles promptly .

Is the 3mm just as good for heat retention? That has been the main bone of contention with SWMBO as since clearing the floors ready to start the room temp has in her opinion dropped a fair bit, I hadn't noticed as I put a jumper on :D As for puddles if they happen will be mopped up and cleaned before it's finished!

Use Duralay Timbermate , best underlay on the Market.

Thanks for that, any idea if there are issues if you use that instead of quick steps? Obviously I'm hoping there wouldn't be a need to use the warranty but accidents happen.

Is the 3mm just as good for heat retention? That has been the main bone of contention with SWMBO as since clearing the floors ready to start the room temp has in her opinion dropped a fair bit, I hadn't noticed as I put a jumper on :D As for puddles if they happen will be mopped up and cleaned before it's finished!

Thanks for that, any idea if there are issues if you use that instead of quick steps? Obviously I'm hoping there wouldn't be a need to use the warranty but accidents happen.
Will be more draughty now you have floor clear, nothing to do with underlay, you can use whatever underlay you wish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back