laminate flooring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some quick step laminate flooring put in my lounge about 5 years ago, this was quite expensive higher end type and supposed to last for many years.

The problem we are experiencing is in one specific area where the computer is and we have a chair that moves round on castors, the shine on the flooring has gone dull in this area and the makers recommend you only clean it with their spray and advise you not to use polish or anything else on the surface.

Is there anything i can do to restore the shine, the area affected is approx. 70cm x 70cm.?, or will i have to cover it with a rug?.
I am not able to remove the flooring and reluctant to have part of it replaced.

Thanks in advance for any help, Janet

Sponsored Links
I would stick with the manufacturers recommendations, there are very few if any laminate floor polishes, that do what they say they do.

with laminate floors and computer chairs, always best to use a at like this:

polycarbonate-chair-mat-hardfloor.jpg

Thanks for both replies guys, i have never seen the mats before but that looks like the answer, as reading the manufacturers paperwork again it says you can do more damage than good using some products.

Regards, Jan

Sponsored Links
If the lustre of the surface has worn off, like has been said, there is'nt really anything that can be done.

If there is a build up of soiling off shoes, slippers etc that has caused a dulling of the surface, then a laminate floor cleaning spray may be the answer to help things.

Rest assured, if you had gone with a cheap laminate you would be dealing with more than a loss of lustre on the surface.

Do you have any boards left from the original installation? If you do, it should be possible to replace the area that is damaged relatively easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back